Author Topic: What am I going to do Come May and I can't Hunt Woodchucks?  (Read 3176 times)

uncle buck

What am I going to do Come May and I can't Hunt Woodchucks?
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
I usually hunt chucks hard in the month of May...However as you know the season going to be closed due to the legal shooting time for Spring Gobblers..

So what can I do?  I can pick Morel mushrooms but man I best be covered in orange so one of those gobbler hunters don't think I'm a turkey when I am reaching down to cut those Morel mushrooms at ground level.

I could fish... Walleye and Pickerel comes in May or is use too. It might even be open before May.. I'd have to look at the fishing season come the May time frame....

Ah maybe they could have allowed the chuck season to be open in farm country.  Do you know how many turkey I have seen in farmers fields lately.. LOL LOL

Or If I can't beat them I could join them...I never killed a Spring Gobbler as a matter of fact I never killed a wild turkey.. I have called them in and know how to use all the turkey calls.. Maybe this will be the year that I start turkey hunting come May..  Besides being that you can be out there longer may make it more attracting to me to hunt  full days for the elusive Gobbler!!!!And also pick a few Morel mushrooms too..

Going to be tough this May when I want to shoot some chucks and new game law says no Way.. Probably for the better to be honest.  I Know a few people that have been killed turkey hunting.  Gee  maybe that's why i don't go turkey hunting????I would not go and pick Morel's until after the 12:00 noon Gobbler quitting time for just that reason in Prior May time frames.. When Gobbler season first opened.. I was hunting in the Wilkes-Barre area.. Darn if my calling did not call in Elmer Fudd trying to locate me.. He thought  that I was the turkey.. That turned me off on Spring Gobbler hunting right there..

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What am I going to do Come May and I can't Hunt Woodchucks?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
UB, there's plenty to do in May. You forgot mulch'n and mow'n & weed wack'n.
UB, if you want to Spring Gobbler hunt on private ground, with me, you are sure welcomed. PM me. I really enjoy Spring Gobbler. I wish Furbearer's or Deer sounded off. Spring Gobbler season gets me excited.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I did see on the PGC meeting  Agenda.. That they are going to vote to allow hunters to  hunt woodchuck during the Spring Gobble season.  Hoefully this will allow us to continue to be able to hunt chucks to this productive time to hunt chucks.. Also notice the Spring Gobbler season will start off the first week were it still closes at 12:00 Noon..The remaining three weeks you can hunt from sun up to 1/2 hour before  sun down. So that will give us the first week in May that you can at least hunt chucks after 12:00 Noon.

By the way...I have found out in the past 2 years how I have really started to enjoy chuck hunting...Using the 17 center fires and hunting chucks can only help you for those long difficult shots you will make later on in the year for coyotes and red fox...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:48:47 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
you'll see me on the water most likely fishin for catfish. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:46:04 PM »
yeah may is one of the best months to be on the river fishing...for smallies and cats...but no keepin smallies this season due to the columnaris that is killing off the young of the year bass...this has been going on for 6-7 years now, and finally they put an end to its season...we used to be the #5 stretch of water to catch smallmouth bass in the country...I will also be trying to kill a turkey, killed a monster last year as my first bird and i'm hooked
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »
UB
  They are not woodchucks on this side of the Deleware. Or so I was told whenI moved across.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers