Author Topic: Ice Cleats predator calling gear in Outdoor Life  (Read 1792 times)

uncle buck

Ice Cleats predator calling gear in Outdoor Life
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
I would think that Ice Cleats would add to the sound of the 180 pound jackrabbit walking on crusty snow... I know last night the temp were down to 14 and the wind chill was in the single digits.. As we walked on the ice it gave a bit of a crunch but not like other warmer nights.. Seems like this cold season has frozen the old snow solid... Today....the snow was melting a bit but here we are back at cold temps again tonight down in the low teens..  I just don't know about ice cleats on crusty snow... They might even amplify the sound.. I think OL probably recommending if you have to go out on a pond to retrieve a critter.. Might be a good thing to take in your bag...they don't take up much room if you plan to hunt areas with many lakes and ponds.. However be careful before going out on the ice... Make sure it's frozen..

How many of you have snow shoes and ice cleats?  Snow Shoes....they too could make a lot of noise...  Probably the only time you might want to wear ice cleats and or snow shoes is if your in one of those big hunts and you have to hunt...Um last years Mosquito Creek was like that where we hunted ...Deep icy snow...We probably scared more coyotes away with walking in a bit then we should have...

I have already seen snow shoes going on clearance... Picked up some in my hands just the other day.. Good ones too.. Ones that could support well over 250 pounds.. I already have two pair however... wooden Alaskan and aluminium Pod type.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:22:40 PM by uncle buck »