Author Topic: When they wink at you they don't love you  (Read 1861 times)

uncle buck

When they wink at you they don't love you
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
As Dennis Kirk always said... If you call in a fox and it starts blinking at you with it's eyes..  Your light is too strong....Your actually hurting his eyes with your light beam..So remember when you see this it's not winking at you.. Your light is just to intense that your hurting his eyes..

Such was the case last night.. I called in a red fox and he approached me into the wind... The 250 Red Kill Light illuminated him...He was sitting looking at me 50 yards on the other side of a tree line.. In the tree line was heavy bush and right behind the fox was the farmers house.  So I could not shoot anyway.. Lip squeals just made him come closer but he would not come into and pass through the tree line.  The Kill Light did not scare him away but it made him blink quite a bit and actually had him sit down and hold up.. I don't think he could see me through the red Kill Light but he just did not know what that intensity  on the other of the tree line was so he stood his ground..At one point I did have him 30 yards from me but I had the 17 Fireball and not the shotgun..The shotgun with # 4 buckshot  could have easily penetrated gaps in the brush and still be safe for the shot .

I liked that the Killlight did not scare him away.. It was just one of those things were the farmers house was behind the fox and I had a rifle not the shotgun.. However it does create a shield so they can't see you but it does make them wink at you at close quarters..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:49:45 AM by uncle buck »

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
Re: When they wink at you they don't love you
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
UB i am pretty sure jeremiah has different bulbs for the kill lights now that offer a 3 mode setup... like a hi-med-lo... might be useful to be able to harness that light back a bit when they start winkin at ya... just a thought..?

uncle buck

Re: When they wink at you they don't love you
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »
I really didn't mind about getting winked at.. Since the fox did sit down and just stare at my calling... Had the farmers house not been there the 17 Fireball could have found it's mark as the fox moved a bit to the right and a bit to the left.  However Did not know that the Killlights have a Rheostat type setting on it????I do know you can get the 100 and the 250 Red with a green and white LED.