Author Topic: Pros and Con of 4 wheel Drive Vehicles  (Read 5905 times)

Renny

Re: Pros and Con of 4 wheel Drive Vehicles
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:13 AM »
Were u rubberneckin BB?  Thats a doozie.

Here ya go Hern.  There was a coyote involved in this one......

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »
no.  you cannot tell it in the pic but that is lookin down a hill.  I slid into the gutter and then gut stuck in the run off area.  it wasn't real steep but enough of a grade that I couldn't pull out of it without chains on.  it was rainin at the time as well so the snow was meltin quick but I woulda been stuck for a while if I didn't have the extra traction to strap on. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
I have had most of them.  I do not like SUV's (a man knows a station wagon when he sees one).  Jackie has a toyota tacoma 4 door with a 5 foot bed.  her truck is good in the snow and has good pep for a smaller truck, she averages about 20 per gallon. the bed is small and she put a hard tonue cover on it which i cannot stand.  if she put a fiberglass cap on it, i think i would like it much better. 

i have a full sized Chevy Reg Cab with an 8ft box.  I just got that last summer and so far it is very good in the snow.  gas milage could be better but it is a full sized truck.  I like having the 8ft bed to haul with.  also the truck pulls a trailer very good. 

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
I have had most of them.  I do not like SUV's (a man knows a station wagon when he sees one).  Jackie has a toyota tacoma 4 door with a 5 foot bed.  her truck is good in the snow and has good pep for a smaller truck, she averages about 20 per gallon. the bed is small and she put a hard tonue cover on it which i cannot stand.  if she put a fiberglass cap on it, i think i would like it much better. 

i have a full sized Chevy Reg Cab with an 8ft box.  I just got that last summer and so far it is very good in the snow.  gas milage could be better but it is a full sized truck.  I like having the 8ft bed to haul with.  also the truck pulls a trailer very good. 

Yep I can say Scott truck does well going into the real thick stuff...I could never go with the Foxmobile where his truck can go!!!!!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 06:25:36 PM »
and with all the equipment for a 2 day trip thank goodness we had an 8ft box. lol. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
Scott
If you hunt long enough in rough weather at night things will go wrong. I have no pictures, but I was stuck in a froze over swamp that gave way. Two hours later with a come along hooked to trees and wile the truck in running in reverse with 4 wheel on and no driver. All the time wile truck was running I operated the come along getting a about 10 feet and then have to re hook. When it got to the point I could see the tires I put chains on in the mud hole. Try that in freezing mud at 2 in the morning. Yea, then there was a time I was going down hill like a bat out of hell backwards just hoping to hit a tree so I would not go off the mountain! I could go on but you get the picture. Now I have this thing they call a 4 wheel drive. Boy do I miss my full size trucks with chains on all four wheels. OK, who want to come hunt with me?

PS Renny, you did not look scared :-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:03:43 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
one time in january i pulled off the road to park at a new spot.  we got out of the truck got our gear and started to walk in and i heard the cracking coming from the truck i turned and look and watched the whole truck drop a couple of feet into the swamp i just parked on.  i could hardley open the door enough on the drivers side to get into the truck.  i got in, put the truck in 4 high and spun the tires, put the truck in low gear and turned the wheel toward the road and left the clutch out, the front right tire grabbed the pavement and pulled me right out.    i thought i was going to have to get towed out of that one.     

uncle buck

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
Way back when I had a two wheel drive 1967 Chevy truck..Oh  about 1986.. I was new at launching boats with trailer.. Marburg, York County, lake Cadorus boat ramp by marina.. Two of my tires went off the side of the concrete boat ramp. I got hung on on the underbody frame and the side of the concrete boat ramp..I had to call AAA.. He pulled me off that concrete Chevy truck, trailer, boat and all.. Ah catching that standard transmission clutch on a steep incline was murder.. Only took an  1/2 hour to have AAA show up.  Never launched at that particular boat ramp again that's for sure...

Listening to all your storys...I think I need to start hunting with chains on??? Starting in  September!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:58:17 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
LOL
Every body worries about getting shot or injured when they going hunting or fishing, just getting there is starting to sound like the worst!
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!