Author Topic: Pros and Con of 4 wheel Drive Vehicles  (Read 5906 times)

uncle buck

Pros and Con of 4 wheel Drive Vehicles
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
Down the road I know I will be needing a better vehicle to hunt the winter months... So far...The Chrysler Van with the front wheel drive is OK for parking just off the roads and the Saturn SL2 also.. What helps is they both have front wheel drive.. However it does put a physiological factor when you want to hunt hard in the winter..

So...What do you think is the best bet?  4 X 4 Pickup truck or 4 X 4 SUV?

Now there are times I like to carry a boat on top of my vehicles so the SUV with the antenna on top does not make that type attractive.
Also a 3 + year old grandson .......Like Dreamcatcher once pointed out to me.. Can't sit in the front seat with you.. He could sit in the extended Cab area but probably an SUV would be better since he could at least sit in the back seat..

Security.....SUV... probably more secure when you depart your vehicle and have another gun in there that can be stolen..Of course pickups have caps on too... However you want a vehicle that does not make much noise too when you open this door or that door etc etc.. Noise when you open your vehicles the hunt is over..

Gas mileage,  how it rides in snow too.. Pickup trucks have been known to be to light.

Traveling out of state to hunt?  Room for things and again security when you have to stop and sleep in a motel.. Your equipment could end up stolen..

In your opinion what 4 X 4 do you like and why?  What make and model do you prefer too?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:08:42 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Pros and Con of 4 wheel Drive Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
Being in the car business for 18 years the imports such as Toyota and Subaru hold value well. As far as trucks Chevy holds value the best. As far as SUV i drive a Jeep liberty and love it. I like the high low range 4x4 transmission and believe me i have used it on predator hunts. Ground clearance is good. The liberty has plenty of room for trips out west. The gas milage sucks though but ok. BUY USED and get most of the factory warranty and save thousands.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:22:10 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »
I know that Chevy offers a 10 year 100,000 mile warranties on '09 and newer. One nice thing about trucks for a hunter you just throw your fox or yotes or deer in the back and just hose out the blood. No more worring about getting blood in the trunk area.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
I have the best of both worlds. A Dodge Dakota pickup and a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Both have a bed in the back. Both are 4WD, with about the same gas mileage. The Ford tows the boat, the Dakota is my camping bed when I take a fishing trip.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
I started with a new, front wheeldrive Subaru in '71 or '72. Good set up for a young guy with no fear.
Since then, owned several Chevy Suburbans and Jeep Cherokees.
Recent years I own(ed) Ford Rangers, extended cab, with cap (topper). I had the aluminum cap made with side windows, with locks. I operate out the side window (my side) and only open back to place dead critters inside. I also got a 'rack' on my cap to haul our canoe, but it's also hauled molding, lumber, pipes and ladders.
Fur season, I have rubber bed mat, then I place tarp down, then I place fitted cardboard down, all to protect bed. At the rear I have newpaper and burlap to place dead critters. Burlap and newspaper gathers blood and water.
I like the pickup best for my needs and comes in handy for haul'n throughout the year. Even with a small pickup with cap, you have plenty of room for 'stuff' while traveling. Wife and I done this many times.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:14:47 AM »
The ole Chrysler Van has plenty of room, as much or more as a SUV.
I stated above what works for me. That's why they make Chevys and Ford...lol.
With an extended cab pickup, I can lock up guns, e-caller, gear, camera and such when sleeping in a motel. Also the cap locks.
I have found a small pickup works best for my style.
I would own a full size pickup, but am too short to reach over the dangburn side walls of a full size job.
Whatever vehicle you chose and you got your rock bottom price, before you close the deal...tell 'em you will 'take it' IF they throw in a trailer hitch, mud flats and rubber bed mat or any extras you may need. I have found that to work for new buggies. ;D
Once you own a 4 wheel drive, you won't go back to 2 wheel drive.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:17:12 AM by Hern »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
hERN
Good set up for a young guy with no fear.
Thats what I drive, and nothing scares me. LOL
The only thing I mis about not having a full size truck is, gas stations, deep snow, deep mud, and I just can not enjoy the nights like I use to. Ya no, when in my truck with chains on all four wheels. Boy do I miss my truck, but I now I have gas money but can not go every were I like.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
Now that the snow is here I have been using the Chrysler van...It's working out great.. I put all the seats down in the back.. I can open the side door and pull out what ever gun I decide to use, Rifle or shotgun.  When I get critters I throw them in a large plastic container in the back too.. Also Front Wheel Drive is better then just two wheel drive anyday...However I do remember having to be pushed by kind souls to get me going during one of the Penn State games.. you know how they park you in the Mud, The Blood, and the Beer up there!!!!! So you do have to be logical where you can use that van with front wheel drive...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
Buckwheat, thought you have 4wd in the Subee?

UB, been in pickles with 4x4's too. Still need logic which I sometimes I think am driving a Tank.

Offline kyle21

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:17:34 AM »
how about something like like the chevy avalanche, get the best of both worlds...or most pick ups nowadays have 4 doors and plenty of room as it is

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:59 AM »
Hern
Yea, it is 4 wheel drive.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Renny

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
I remember doing some damage to Herns new truck in 4wd.  I didn't even get out of my yard with it....

A little worried once in Buckwheats trucks too.

Good times....

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
Renny says-
I didn't even get out of my yard with it....
Wasn't alcohol involved? Ahhh, never mind.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:16 AM »
Renny, where's the pic of your ole truck hanging over a bank?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 09:03:44 AM »
I have hunted out of a few vehicles.  I have a fullsize shortbed regular cab p/u and a bronco II that I hunt out of now.  I used to have a small nissan pickup.  out of them three the best local hunting rig I have is my fullsize.  its got enough room up front for two hunters and their gear.  and then I have a cap on the back.  makes for a nice rig to carry things in.  when I hunt local I don't worry too much about getting stuck.  when I head north I normally take the bronco II.  I just got a set of chains that have the vbars on and I have a set for the front as well now and that thing is like a tank.  goes a lot of places I shouldn't,  its a bit tight for two hunters but plenty roomy for one.  it is comfortable and now that I fixed the exhaust I get 24 miles to a gallon.  I can't beat it.  the only thing I wished it had was a posi or a locker in the rear.  had a few times last year I got stuck without chains on.  of course once I got chains in on the tires I pulled out quick.  The midsized suv's are the ticket I believe though.  they normally get good gas mileage.  normally have 4 doors and most now have a good bit of room.  not sure what kind of vehicle I would buy if I was in the market today.  I would prob buy a 4 door short bed fullsize.  but I am hopin the vehicles I have will last for a while yet.  

this is what happens when ya don't have chains on.  this was from last years bobcat excursions.  threw chains on and pulled right out.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:04:40 AM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”