Author Topic: tomorrows hunt  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
tomorrows hunt
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
word has been goin around of a couple horses found dead back in the woods so tommorrow morning gonna go in the area and make a couple sets any advice on the calling sequence? i'm think alot of use of howls

uncle buck

Re: tomorrows hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
If you had permission might be good to post near the dead animals and just sit...If they are feeding you can legally hunt bait piles.. The piles would be the attractant..  If I was going to call I would be just a couple of Howls (Interrogation) and just remain quiet for a long period of time.. You could also do some KIYI for a minute and remain quiet for awhile and lastly..The coyote pup. I would think if you stick to those three coyote vocalization and do it limited too..  Why use food sounds if there is dead horses all ready available for them to eat.. You want to get the coyotes in the area upset that other coyotes are moving in..The sounds I recommended will do that...  

Any of your scent blowing toward the dead animals would hurt your hunt...If the coyotes are there feeding... 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:36:13 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Yotestalker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
the horses were found on landvest and gasme comission has already checked it out so their there to stay.
tried howls but nothing came in horses haven't been touched yet

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
Looks like those coyotes don't have a hankering for horse meat yet..  Might be a good place for someone that uses cable restraints to set restraints on the trails leadinig and departing away from where the horses lay..  If you have a leg hold trap you could set a blind set on a high spot near where the horses lay..I'd keep checking back to see if they start to feed on the horses. Later on it could turn into a hot spot. maybe once the other critters start to feed on them..You can't call them if they are not there...