Author Topic: LED headlamp  (Read 4065 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
LED headlamp
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:57:09 AM »
After ordering the last light I got to looking on the deal extreme sight to see what else they had.  and came across this.  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44277

I looked at the videos and it looks to be pretty impressive.  for 14 buxs I ordered one.  once it gets in I will give a review on the light.  might be a cheap alternative to a scanning headlamp.  even if it doesnt work for predator hunting though I can always use another headlamp. 

anyone ever order one of these at all? 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

Re: LED headlamp
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
I always carry a light on my person like this when hunting should my scanning light die.  Light looks good.. Might work well only way to find out is to try it out...Stay away from all those cheap lights at the Homedepot and Lowes check out counters.. Gee I missed a few coyotes because I was researching them and the coyote saw right through the light..In some instances I only saw shadows in the field too.  Could not even pick up the eyes.. I'm talking about the head lights that have the one or two red lights surrounded by the white lights.  The red lights are inadequate to pick up eyes the right way..

Ben your light will work out great for night fishing..That's what I use a lot of those strapped head lights for ...Or working on electrical projects around the house when you cut the power off and you now need light to see the wires to install the electrical fixtures and such..

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
I figured if it didn't work as a predator light I could use it as a catfish light.  Cant wait till water temps get above 50 deg. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
Ben,
I should tell you that the fish commission has cancelled catfishing for the 2011 year!!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Unclebuck
Yea I heard that to, even having a (fat head) in your hands is a big fine.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:35:04 PM by Buckwheat »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
You can be fined for even saying the word "flathead"
from Mar 31- Nov1

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
LEGLIFTER
Thanks I edited my post and took the (L) out,  Boy that was close!! You too better be careful

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
Its not march yet ;)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »
I finally got this light.  took almost a month.  just in time for fishing season to start soon though.  ;D  first thoughts on this light.  it definitely is not a predator light.  or even a kill light in the quality department.  you definitely feel like your holding a ten dollar light.  the head bands are a bit tight for me but I have a big head.  so that may or may not be a problem for other folks.  The light has three modes a high low and a strobe in that order.  The focus feature is nice.  you can go from a wide flood to a tight spot.  as far as the brightness.  it says 160 lumens on the box.  along with 75 hour burn time.  170m beam range.  I would guess that this is on the high setting of the light.  I used the light for a short period of time tonight to plow the driveway.  The zoom works by pulling out on the head.  by pulling out on the head you get a square beam that is bright.  bright enough to easily light up road signs at 150yds.  with it pushed in all the way it gives a nice wide flood light.  I would rate this light as bright as the predator light. 

is this a good economical light?  yes
is it bright? yes
is it cheap? yes
is it well made to handle a lot of abuse? prob not.  I am hard on equipment to begin with.  I can see the hinge breaking easily if you are not careful with it. 
is it worth your time looking into buying one?  definitely.  it is a good alternative to the lights on the market today.  it is light in weight and bright as well.  It takes one 18650 battery and if you already have a kill light them batts will work in this light.  if you do not have a kill light I would recommend you buy them on ebay using the link fp51 provided a week ago or so.  it comes with two battery's and a charger along with the light. 

I doubt I will be hunting much more this season but will report back after using it longer or until it breaks. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
Bigben
I too purchased one to use for outdoor use and cooking on the grill. I have not received it yet. Thanks for the light report. The only fish you would catch down my way TONIGHT is snow catfish.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:34 AM »
I am sure if you can get into the warm water discharges you can catch fish.  once Ice breaks up on the susky I plan on trying it. 

I just got done doing a burn test on this light.  I think either their claims are bogus or I misread the box.  the light burned for about 2 hours total in a room temp environment on high.  after a hour of on the whole time the head assembly got warm to the touch but not that hot that you couldn't touch it.  then it started to cool down along with dimming.  so for a night of calling two batteries would be probably needed. 

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
Ben try Brunner Island for some outstanding fishing this time of the year.. The druggies wrecked it up.  It use to be a good place to go for Channel Cats at night but they closed it for night time fishing because of that.  However what is open for night fishing and it well lit too is the  York Haven Dam.. Minnies do there well this time of the year or big Walleye!!!!!!Just use a couple of split shots on a small piece of monoline down from a three way swivel  hang up at the side of the dam occur if you use to much weight on your line..Many rocks but that's what the Walleye like..This outstanding Walleye fishing at York Haven continues near into the end of the season in March..By the way this would be night fishing but the Pa Fish Commission has put a parking area there and like I said it well lit and you can fish all night too if you desire.. I still carry a hand gun with me when I do fish there however.  LOL LOL..Druggies.....