Author Topic: Best scope for 17 Rem?  (Read 7171 times)

Offline ZDF

Best scope for 17 Rem?
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
I've been looking at either a Nikon or a Mueller but everyone I talk to doesnt have a clue what a Mueller is so Im kinda leaning toward the Nikon as I know a few people that use them. Im gonna be shooting the usual predators (coyotes, foxes) around 100 yards or so. I wanna spend roughly around $150 and was looking at the Nikon Prostaff or the Mueller 3x9. Any oppinions on these or any other scopes?

Thanks

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Best scope for 17 Rem?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
I did some look'n around and found this place

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/

Free shipping over 90.00/ 5% discount if you are mil/ff/or police (active or not) plus a free t shirt  ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline savage05

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »
IMO both are about the best choices in that price range unless you are cool buying a used scope. I own both a Mueller and a Prostaff and the quality is about the same on both for their respective prices, both have decent glass and both companies stand behind their product. You really won't go wrong with either of them.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:00:12 AM »
cabelas is blowing out the nikon prostaff 3x9x40 for 94 bucks.  i would go with the Mueller because Nikon doesn't have an IR.   you can get the Mueller 3x10x44 in the price range you are looking.  if you plan on hunting at night go witht he Mueller if not the Nikon would be fine.  i use both and both a good quality scopes in that price range. 

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
As UB once said:  "I Never Met A Muller That I Didn't Like!"   I have 4 of them...two illuminated dot and two AO without the dot.. Of course for predator hunting you want the illuminated dot at least the 3 X 9 40 MM which cost about $148.00.  They are warranted for life unless you abuse them..   I have a Truglo, Redhead, and BSA illuminated recticle scope also...Of the three the Redhead is the best.. Simmons make that one.. The entire recticle is illuminated but it can be adjusted from total brightness to just a bit of red.  They might cost you about $90.00.  The other two just can't be illuminated down enough and the recticle has to much brightness for night time hunting...

If you want to shoot predators at night time your going to need an illuminated scope.. The dot IMO is the best to go with since you just put the dot on the chest or above the shoulder and you got him... Now know of one excellent shot that does not like the Muller Dot.. He shoots all of his predators in the head.  So when you do place the red dot on the red eyes it kind of intermingles with the red eyes and the dot.. Me..I don't really like to explode the predators head.. So for me...it's the Muller red dot in the $148.00 3 X 9 40 MM.

By the way...The people that don't know about the Muller's?  They don't know about them because they don't even know about predator hunting.

Your also going to have critics that say the Mullers are not the best.  however how many of us can really pay $1400.00 to $3000.00 for a Nightforce Scope?    
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:18:27 PM by uncle buck »

Offline ZDF

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. Is there any other scopes that are good for night time hunting? Just wanna check out all my options as best I can before ordering

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »
Night Force Scopes...

During Pete Hauer seminar at the PPHA Expo. He did recommend the Nikon.. However since I don't use them for night hunting I forget just what model he recommended...Maybe someone will remember when he made comment on this and post what Model Nikon he recommended.. I can tell you this it was not all of the models...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:22:51 PM by uncle buck »

Offline ZDF

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:58:12 PM »
Eek $1000+  :o I think I'll just stick with the Mueller for now and see how that does. My rifle should be done sometime next week so now I just gotta get some ammo scope and scope mounts, oh and a kill light (Haven't decided which one yet) and I should be ready to kill some coyotes

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 07:42:31 AM »
when Jay was talking about the Mueller scope he said he liked the Burris better.  I think that scope was about 400.  it was also an IR.

Offline ZDF

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 11:13:36 AM »
thanks I'm just gonna stick with the mueller. Also does anyone know where to find ammo for the 17rem? Im gonna be reloading but I want to shoot by next weekend and I doubt ill have the reloading supplies and time to have the bullets loaded.

Thanks

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 12:01:49 PM »
Basspro has it...Cabelas,  but it's going to be hard to find in Dunhams, Dicks,  but Gander might have it but you pay $$$$$bucks for ammo in Gander.  Don't even go into Wal-Mart for it..It won't be there..

Then you can get it on the web. Nice if you don't have to pay that hazardous material fee for shipping????????If they want you to pay $20.00 in addition to the regular shipping fee.  I'd probably elect to pay the Gander price...

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
Best to use a scope that's illuminated with batteries instead of one that activated by running a light over it to trigger the illuminating.

Offline ZDF

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
Thanks UB, always have alot of good info to share. Gonna order the scope and rings hopefully sometime early next week and try to find some ammo. Hopefully gander will have some, if not guess I'll try and order some off the web. Dont really feel like driving all the way down to cabelas from pittsburgh, the store is a nightmare plus gas is too high  :(

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 30 mm tube is the way to go. Great for night shooting over a light and outstanding for big game.

Offline ZDF

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »
Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 30 mm tube is the way to go. Great for night shooting over a light and outstanding for big game.

I dont think a 17 rem would be ideal for big game haha. But I agree Leupold makes awesome scopes, I have a 3x9 compact on my 7mm08 and its a great scope. If I do get more into predator and varmint hunting I will be after another Leupold