Author Topic: Acorn Mast this deer season is it good or bad?  (Read 2355 times)

uncle buck

Acorn Mast this deer season is it good or bad?
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
Yep you find the food and you find the game... Previous years the Acorn Mast was spread out far and wide...It was real hard to pinpoint the deer.  Lack of Acorn  best hunt near the corn........Hope it's still standing ....Someplaces it still is on opening day..

As you know the best Acorn it the WHITE acorn...Going to be a deer and turkey hunter you have to know how to ID White Acorns and White Acorn trees and leaf..
Native American even boiled the White Acorn  Not those bitter Red Acorns...So.....Prior to deer season...find those stands of White Acorn in the woods...Lets all hope that this year White Acorn Mast is most excellent??????

Anyone hear if this years White Acorn crop was good?

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Acorn Mast this deer season is it good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
Over my way the crop is real good. Tons of acorns, reds and whites. I think mostly all the game animals to be hunted this season will be pretty healthy. Last years record cold and snow winter killed off most of the sick and weak animals. We have a strong apple crop too. Last year I didn't see too many big bucks but this year is different. They are everywhere. The bucks look real healthy. We should have a good crop of healthy fawns this coming spring as well.
President PPHA

uncle buck

Re: Acorn Mast this deer season is it good or bad?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
PA Game Lands...When the acorn mast is bad...If you can find the PGL that still have standing corn....The deer are there then...Remember this.  So many times hunters just go out into the woods and sit up against a tree and wonder why they never get any buck or doe...FOOD if acorn is not abundant then deer have to eat the next best thing....Nice that the PGL manager elect to not cut the corn and leave it up during deer season...