Author Topic: Feathered Bullets How are populations in your area  (Read 1717 times)

uncle buck

Feathered Bullets How are populations in your area
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »
Pa  is one of the best Mourning Dove states...I see all of these hunters that go to Mexico and South America just to hunt dove. They pay big bucks too $$$$$$$.. Here we have it in abundance.. At least I think we do...Cumberland County is one of the best dove hunting counties in Pa. I always try to get out and hunt dove one or two times.. I would not even think of just taking one box of shotgun shells.. More like 5 boxes..

What about your part of Pa and or county you live in? Do you also have an abundance of Mourning Dove?  As a kid you hardly see dove in the yards in Wilkes-Barre..  Now you see more and more..

I do like to use 8 shot but also have used 9 shot and that works great too.

I prefer to hunt them on a fly way.  Best to get up on a high spot on a hill wind at your back of your head... Dove fly from the valley below but when they reach you at the top of the hill they are in automatic shotgun range... Like most birds they like to fly into the wind too.. Little things like this can get you more shots at dove..
Also sometimes it nice to hunt them in weed fields just like quail or ringneck.. Flush them while they are eating seed.. As you all know...You can't hunt dove until 12:00 Noon daily  and you can't use a rifle...

Nice to wrap those dove breast in bacon and bake them in the oven...Don't over bake them...It does not take them long to get done..

I have also hunted Canadian geese when I hunt doves too..If your doing this make sure your dove loads are steel shot  so you don't get fined. I usually lay a few goose loads close by should I see some geese approaching on the horizon.. However you can't change from goose loads to dove loads when the Feather Bullets are on the Horizon.