Author Topic: Bear coming to your predator calling  (Read 3549 times)

uncle buck

Bear coming to your predator calling
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
they will come to your calling...I have called in two so far and Dreamcatcher called in one when I was hunting with him..."What I Don't Like They Are Always Growling When They Come To The Call!"

So when I hunt Northeastern Pa in the early Fall and in the Summer and South Central Pa in the Summer I always carry mace with me..However I got to thinking? Am I really carrying the correct kind of mace?  Will mace used for humans work on bear too?  Some type are Pepper Spray?  I have seen the mace that is specifically for bears..Um maybe just maybe one should be using the mace that is designated for Bear?  Truly I don't want to have to whip out the 357 mag and kill a black bear if I can help it...However when your in bear woods and they do come to the call who knows if a Sow and cubs will be coming to the call too..  "I just wish they would not growl like they do?" 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Bear coming to your predator calling
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
I called in a bear at the northcentral hunt last year but he came in without making a sound.Its amazing that something that big can be that silent.Used a mouth call in fawn distress.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
I have called several in as well but none of them were growling.  Maybe you need a shower UB ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Bears,  especially in the early season. I hunted a lot of time alone in remote prime bear area. I never liked it when they show up at night when I am hunting alone. Walking back out always made me a little nervous. They are faster then most people think. Day time I enjoy seeing them come in. But in all conditions I have always had a gun. I have never had any get aggressive day or night. I always let them know I am a person as soon as I feel the need. I think if I ever get to call in grizzly country I want another shooter or two that is as good or better shot then me and they will be carrying 12 gage shotguns with slugs in it. O-yea also there nerves will also have to be made of steel. :o
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
Don't worry Buckwheat, as long as you can outrun your other shooters you will be safe. LOL
President PPHA

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »
Muttbuster
I am getting old and slower, I need back up shooters'
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
I found the large container of bear spray in Dunhams...Figure since I have called in bear before and I do call in a few of the bear counties I my as well get the real stuff...Spray can is larger of course then personal type and it comes with a holster...
Um there was one time that I was hunting by myself in North Eastern Pa on public lands and was getting harassed by a bunch of young adults atr 12:00 AM ..Um must have been about  6 of them.. Maybe just maybe the larger can of spray would be better to cover the entire lot of them too? What saved me then was my cell phone...When they saw me flick it open and the light came on they high tailed it..Was ready to dial 911....
A cell phone ain't going to help you stop a hungry black bear or an irritated sow...
However you start to carry all of this equipment and your going to end up having to get an Hernia operation...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:08:34 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Lackawannafox

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I called in a couple over the last couple years,The ones I called in chomp there teeth :o

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
Lackawannafox you watch the black bear and the groups of hostile kids in the Suscon area of your stomping grounds..