Author Topic: A day in the field.......and evening  (Read 2608 times)

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
A day in the field.......and evening
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
Yesterday I finally got some time to myself (so I thought) so I grabbed the gun and headed out to the field for some hog hunt'n. The farmer and his son was a cut'n and a bale'n. In the previous years when they were doing so, the foxes was all over the place mouse'n and provide'n a good show.

Unbeknown to me, the farmer had called the house for my help while I was on my way to the field. I spent the mojority of the afternoon help'n him and his son keeping the equipment going. After two of the three peices were down for the count and he was on top of the hill bale'n, I went to the bottom because it was quiet.

Apon cresting the knoll to overlook the field, and to my surprise, here's and adult coyote mouse'n in the cut hay. (sorry no pics) It was 125-150 yards away and a perfect shot but I didn't take the shot. Why, cause it kept look'n at me and then look'n away as if something else was of concern. I thought it was it's mate or the pups. Never did see anything else but got to watch this for 10-15 minutes. (oh wait, there was deer feeding in the corn 75-100 yards away at the same time) Finally it headed back to the wooded area an out of sight. I do have a witness so to speak, I was on my cell phone with buckwheat at the time.

I had to go back to the house to take care of bussiness, but just before dark, I grabbed my calls and headed back out. As soon as I got into the open field I stopped and shut off the quad and started howl'n. Low and behold the whole darn bunch of them answered back. And they were close too !!!! I got them to answer the call three times and each time it was further away.

It's now dark and the fireworks are going off in every direction. So I went to the top of the hill and just sat there and watched. As I sat there I got to thinking what a great day this was. Did I kill something, NO. As a matter of fact I never did see a hog. But not only did i see a coyote doing its thing but I got to "talk" to them also. Have a great 4th everybody.
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: A day in the field.......and evening
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
We all need those kinds of days now and then. It makes you feel alive.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
Good Story, Enjoyed reading that...

Something you have bad days in the field and you have unbelievable good days in the field.  Like in your case too you didn't have to kill anything too..
Some unbelievable days maybe? No matter what call you use that day you have all kinds of predators incoming..
Or you luck out...Hear police sirens and then the woods close to you coyotes opens up with howling.   You hear the different high and low pitches of barks and howls  too and know it be pack of them too..Not just one lone coyote..

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
I enjoyed it too. I'll be waiting on an invite to rid your farm of this coyote ;). Keep them fat with those G'hogs.
FayetteNam

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
Alrighty then, as soon as a WHOLE field is cut I'll give ya a buzz. But don't hold your breath........The farmer came out to bale some raked hay today. He came over to talk to me and I asked what he was gonna do. He said bale hay and I said "NOPE". Why........the drive tire on the tractor is flat. With a dejected look he just got in his truck and left. One good day, with all the equipment not breaking down, SHOULD get the backside done. Stay tuned. ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."