Author Topic: Boats How long do they last?  (Read 3456 times)

uncle buck

Boats How long do they last?
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
I have been patching my Scanoe....Got the thing in 1984 and the thing is still seaworthy...the ole girl does not look young anymore...However no mater who you are human, animal, or thing...Age does a number on ya..  Let see...  26 years old she is.. that more the 1/4 of a century...  She tends to crack around the hull where the seats are...Ah...to many wide loads occupied those spots for sure....

Yesterday...I took my battery charger and tried to charge my trolling motor battery...This would be my 4th battery for the Scanoe but still using the same 26 year old battery charger...So I thought?  I had to deep six the charger... 26 years old and her life expectancy finally has been met.

I decided that I'm going to take the Scanoe for some Summer and Fall fishing this year for sure. Um I wonder if the 26 year old trolling motor will work.. it should...

I think I paid about $270.00 for my Soleman Scanoe back in 1984.  Let see...$270.00 divided by 26 years would be: It cost me $10.38 a year for the Scanoe...Not bad for a boat...However ever notice when you buy a boat...Probably cost you about $1K$$$$$$ for all the accessories...trolling motor, battery, running lights, 4 life preservers, two anchors, anchor chain and or ropes,  oars, oar locks, battery charger, boat carriers, tie downs, initial registration of the boat..

Gee some USCG Cutters do not even stay commissioned for 26 years...  However...Coleman Canoes and Scanoes...Good products.. Yo will have to patch them every now and then when a hair line crack appears.

Coleman Scanoes...You can Paddle it,  Oar  it,. Pole it, Sail It, electric motor it, and use up to a 5 HP outboard motor to power it too...
My existing trolling motor has 28 pounds of thrust... The Scanoe can move out with the 28 pounds of thrust and what I like about the Scanoe is that it has ribs underneat the hull and it holds and will not flip... good for a night time caller boat for sure....also hold plenty of cargo too..