Author Topic: Revisiting this tactic since I did bag two yesterday just doing this  (Read 3063 times)

uncle buck

When the chuck hunting gets slow...You know, no heads popping up out of holes... Take one of your predator calls and do about one  minute of puppy whines...... Wow  triggers the chuck heads popping  up for shots.. Try it when the chuck hunting gets a bit slow, you will see what I mean...

This was on a previous post but people kind of got off topic on the post and there are multiple replies that do not even pertain to chuck hunting stratagies..So I figure I would start a new one..

I like to use a a Standard or Pee Wee Crit-R-Call.   Thing of it is the chucks are out within seconds of doing the calls.  So watch for the brown as you do the puppy whines... It's just that fast...  Puppy whines I got two...

Oh I also got one to pop up by just doing your basic chuck whistle too..You know kind of sounds like a human whistling...Doing the  whistle I got one.

Now I have tried to duplicate the whistle using a wood duck call...using your human voice to do the human whistle has been more productive for me.  Some chuck hunters will whistle to make the chuck stand up.  Hopefully you have heard a chuck whistle so you know what sound I am posting about...

You all have seen the hawk calls.....Now this is suppose to make ringneck pheasants hold tight so they do not flush early..I wonder what a chuck would do if you  used a hawk call?...Probably..Not even stick it's vulnerable head out of the hole??

Olt does and did for a long time make a pheasant call...Now that would have been neat to do...Call in pheasants with a call...However I suppose only on a Pa Game land could you even try this now? Or maybe on a PGC Coop farm?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:05:50 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Was it you or hern or ernie that had the groundhog call?  I know it was up at the calling mueseum at foxpro.  That woulda been cool to see get to work.  I never heard it make sound.  Maybe it is like a dog whistle?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Ben, I donated that Groundhog call to the mueseum. 
One can make a sharp whistle or other sounds with that brass, slider call.
Calling earthpigs is nothing new.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
I tried this twice this year on seperated days and my results were poor. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Scott...same here with results over the seasons
hit or miss (I had to say that ;D)

uncle buck

I suppose our Cumberland County Woodchucks must be a more curious  lot?

Or my puppy whines and or chuck whistle might be better?  LOL 

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
Congratulations on those groundhogs Uncle Buck. Nice rifle also.