Author Topic: "Can Coon"  (Read 3731 times)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
"Can Coon"
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a Raccoon in a cage trap eat two cans of cat food? Cans and all? I just trapped a big Coon getting in  my garbage. All that was left was two small pieces of tin, about one inch wide. Lots of blood all over the cage. 
What would prompt a Coon to eat the cans?
President PPHA

Offline furbug

• Junior Forum Member
Re: "Can Coon"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

Made braces out of them  ;D

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
He did look like he had some buck teeth. Good for eating an ear of corn threw a picket fence.
President PPHA

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:21:47 AM »
Raccoon are 'chewers', weather caught in a live trap, foothold trap or cable restraint. They will chew anything within reach. If your live trap was sitting on your lawn, that area will be scratched up and grass pulled and chewed as far as the Coon could reach thur the cage trap.
For the most part, your Coon likely 'chewed' food can. Look closer where your trap was sitting.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
Maybe he thought if Ozzy Osbourne can bite the head off a bat.  He would eat the can to impress you.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:18:57 AM »
A week ago I trapped a different Raccoon and I had the trap wrapped with 6 mill black plastic. He pulled the entire sheet of plastic, (about 5'x5' feet) threw the one inch holes of the trap and shredded it into one inch pieces. I had two cans of cat food in that trap too. He didn't eat the cans but he finished opening the cans by pulling the lids of. The one that ate the cans must have eaten them because all I found was a couple one inch pieces. The trap was sitting on  pavement so I could see any other scrap metal if there were any. None. He did eat the cans. Today I was fishing and two Raccoons were acting very strange. It was 2 o'clock this afternoon. They were making sounds that I've never heard them make before. Kind of a strange whine. The whine started low and then went high. I think they're was something wrong with at least one of them. They never came out of the brush in my direction or I would of shot them both to see which one was sick. Anyone have some thoughts on this?
President PPHA

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »
That's funny.
Years back, I placed a live Coon (in live trap) in the back of my pickup.
By the time I got home, that dangburn Coon shredded one of my LaCrosse hipboots! Of course the hipboots were brand new. Dang Coons. How do they do that!
Local tackle shop wouldn't sell me a left hipboot....LOL.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »
Had one in a cage in the bed of the truck also, during deer season.
Stopped at one spot to put on a quick drive for my father-in-law, and while we were gone,
the coon reached a bucket of traps and pulled the stake rings of 3 traps through the cage( the big rings of the older victors)
and proceeded to chew the trap tags off of them.
After that the coon powered out of the trap(folding spring door set up) and left muddy foot prints down the fleet side of the truck.

Needless to say, I'm looking for a better cage trap

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:02:31 AM »
Me too LL. The last coon tore mine up pretty good. I'm going to buy some new equipment at the PTA convention this June in Washington County. Are you coming down for that Bob? If so, let me know so we can hook up. I need to pick your brain about trapping in general.
President PPHA

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 07:40:34 AM »
I'll be there from wed-sun
look me up

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
Will do.