Author Topic: gigging!!!Everyone Got To Do that Once In Their Life  (Read 2511 times)

uncle buck

gigging!!!Everyone Got To Do that Once In Their Life
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
Gig.....A three or four prong fork that you attach to a broom handle.. Take a light.....Coleman lantern with an aluminum reflector that pushes the light beam forward, a pair of hip boots or waders and your set...

Time is night time of course...Also I think some of the head lights used for coon hunting and predator hunting would be perfect and better then holding a lantern in front of you..

Target fish....Here in Pa it would be the Sucker. When the tree flower the sucker start to spawn... At night time hundreds of them swim up the small feeder stream from main rivers... What you do is walk up the feeder stream and when you see the suckers swimming in front of you...You gig or harpoon them with the gig... Now when you get one...did you ever hit a long ball and you hear that solid hit with a baseball bat travel up your arms into your body... That what if feels like when you gig a sucker...They start splashing and churning and that feeling transfer into the broom handle of the gig.. What a feeling...Everyone should try gigging in the Spring.. Some people eat the suckers..Good to bring a burlap bag to put all the suckers in too... I mean your going to go home with at least 50...that be the limit here in Pa...50 suckers per person... Now me, nope I don't eat suckers...To much bones... I know of one gun that grinds them up bones and all and makes fishcakes from them... Me I use to put them under the rose bushes for fertilizer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:35:05 PM by uncle buck »