Author Topic: Snow Shoes? Bearpaw, Alaskian, Aluminum???  (Read 5049 times)

uncle buck

Snow Shoes? Bearpaw, Alaskian, Aluminum???
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Looks like we are getting into one of those season?....I do have a pair of Alaskians and the Aluminum...One best make sure they read the specs of the shoes or know something if they buy them 2nd hand from someone.. See the shoe has to be correct to hold the certain person weight.  In stores it right on the box what it will support...2nd in someones yard sale might not be apparent..

Bearpaw....I think that is for use in brushy areas????

Anyway just kind of talking snowshoes....If anyone wants to post anything about them to help others?

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Snow Shoes? Bearpaw, Alaskian, Aluminum???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »
if your planning on using them while hunting stay away from the aluminum types. if you've ever used snow shoes you'll know they hit each other quite often while walking and the aluminum/metal 'clank' is very distinctive in the woods. the wooden ones are not so noisey our sound out of place when they hit one another.

the new high-tech aluminum ones are great for treking and playing around in....but for hunting the traditional ash snowshoes can't be beat. the 'bear paw' design works great.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:50:08 AM »
I have already seen snowshoes in TJ Maxx and Marshalls on clearance...  However most are for lighter weight people... So if your a Big Oaf they will not work for you... What was that weight SPEC for snowshoes I saw  oh about 130 pounds size. Yep most of you do not qualify for sure!!!!!!!
Plus like Woody posted to they be Aluminum ones and thats a good point of them making a lot of unnecessary noise.
Now Soon Dicks Sporting Good will have them on clearance but they will be the Aluminum ones.. I got my wooden Alaskan snow shoes from Cabelas way back when....The Aluminum ones I did get at Marshalls way back when but they happen to be for my correct size.  Many times the Army & Navy stores have them too....However they be the Aluminum ones that look like the Alaskan snow shoe.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:04:20 AM »
Hey UB .. ;D...are your wooden Alaskan snowshoes, from way back when......autographed by Sgt. Preston of the RCMP....just wondering.... ;D ;D

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
Hey UB .. ;D...are your wooden Alaskan snowshoes, from way back when......autographed by Sgt. Preston of the RCMP....just wondering.... ;D ;D

LOL they sure are!!!I even got them from an offer on the back of Shredded Wheat Box...Me thinks that is who use to sponsor Preston when I was a kid??????

Sure wish I had those Kellogg Deadly Obstacle Scout,  Mine and Torch Frogman also that you would load up with baking powder and they would dive then surface dive then surface dive and then surface.. Even remember my brother getting this neat submarine that did one and same...Dive and surface to dive and surface in the bathtub....

Then there was those Howdy Dowdy Paper mask on the back of Corn Flakes too....every now and then they would slip a pirate on the back or.......Tony the Tiger Too......

Also remember one of the Shredded Wheat cereals having cardboard sleeve between the shredded wheat...That had all kind of Indian lore and how to make Indian stuff info on... Ah yes that was the days...Breakfast use to be so neat at our house...Cost my mom and dad a few bucks now and then too...For some of the bennies on theback!!!!

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »
Also remember someone on my site onetime.. Making the recommendation that if you think a 60 year old can go up to Maine and hunt Snowshoe Rabbits and Coyotes using the outfitter snowshoes..They are in for the surprise of their life... One needs to be in a bit of shape to go from Point A to Point B no matter what your age is??????
So for you guys going to Maine to hunt Snowshoes and Coyotes this time of the year...Start to practice around your house... Walk and simulate like you have a load in your drawers... That about how using snow shoes looks like from an observer watching from the other end.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »

Sure wish I had those Kellogg Deadly Obstacle Scout,  Mine and Torch Frogman also that you would load up with baking powder and they would dive then surface dive then surface dive and then surface.. Even remember my brother getting this neat submarine that did one and same...Dive and surface to dive and surface in the bathtub....

[/quote]

Funny? I always wanted to be a Navy Frogman when I was a kid..Me thinks it was this stuff from the Kellogg packages that inspired me..Of course them pushing the same product with what you can get on the back packages on the  tube too...Actually they did give you one of these things inside each box...Now that thing might have been two inches tall...However it worked with the baking powder..Now if you wanted the large diving figures you had to send in some bucks...Now they were nice...Maybe 5-6 inches tall.

As I grew older I lost my inspiration to be a Frogman or even to  be a member of the U.S Navy too.  

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:04:15 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
Bearpaw snowshoes round kind of oval? I wonder watch makes them work so good in brush? Surely you still would get tangled up in them if you step on some downed scrub oak...I suppose it the small size that enables you to walk a bit in heavy brush trails where the Alaskan type would surely get hung up????Just the large size of the Alaskan type are sure to bring failure in thick woods.

There is a style that runs in length betsween the Bear Paw and the Alaskan that is said to be possible to use for both type terrain.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:09:43 PM by uncle buck »

Offline war_nrg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »
Greetings All,
I have hunted and trekked on a pair of wooden Tubbs bearpaws for 20 years plus.  Does take a little gettin used to but I seldom ever hit shoe against shoe (being bow legged probally helps).  Wooden Alaskians' are prone to break in wooded areas, best used in clear open terrian, bearpaws are the best for the woods.  My tubbs do not have an ice cleat on them so I purchase a pair of alum. bearpaws from cabellas a few year back, loudest thing in the woods other then a gun shot.  Only use them for hiking when theres a crust, the tubbs turn into skis when there is a hard crust.  Sking on snow shoes down a steep incline with a full pack and a rifle/shotgun is not something I would advise.  I was just out tonight with my tubbs, sure make getting around a whole lot easier.  Would highly recommend you pratice before you load up a gun and try and hunt with them.
Cheers,
Cheers,
Bill