Author Topic: wind direction  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
wind direction
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
what is a good wind detector, something that lets you now which way the wind is blowing. I saw some where that corn starch works pretty good.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: wind direction
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
 It will work but is wasteful. I refilled my container and it blows out in huge quantities and covers the ground. I did take some netting from one of my camo gloves and place it between the bottom and the cap to sift it better and that helped.
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »
i have about an 18in peice of dental floss tied to the antena of the ram, frey the end up alittle bit, works good

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
I have that also scott and it works good, but when I am out over the hill some where the wind may not be in the same dirrection as at the truck. I am looking for something other then the store bout wind checkers. I can,t always find them around my place.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
walmart has the primos powder in a bottle on clearance for a buck. 

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
not around my place here in indiana I,ve looked every where around here and nothing

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
I hunt with a fella from perry county that carrys a tikka combo gun that has a piece of dental floss tied to his barrel on his gun.  about 6-7" long is all.  not sure if the movement would alert a predator or not but I know that he calls coyotes in.  I wouldn't hesitate to try it.  I actually did the same thing that scott mentioned on my truck last year.  I had to tie it high though or else the wind would be affected by the cab of the truck.  it was nice for night hunting.  
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »
I have that also scott and it works good, but when I am out over the hill some where the wind may not be in the same dirrection as at the truck. I am looking for something other then the store bout wind checkers. I can,t always find them around my place.

Cut 5 inches of 1/8 inch dowel rod.. tape the un-waxed dental floss (12  inches of it)  to the top with a small piece of duct tape.. Do what Scott said   fray the end.  Wind the dental floss around the dowel rod and place it in your hunting jacket pocket.. If you need to take a reading in the field just remove it from your pocket and take a reading on stand.. done. wind it back around dowel rod and put it back in your pocket... 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »

Cut 5 inches of 1/8 inch dowel rod.. tape the un-waxed dental floss (12  inches of it)  to the top with a small piece of duct tape.. Do what Scott said   fray the end.  Wind the dental floss around the dowel rod and place it in your hunting jacket pocket.. If you need to take a reading in the field just remove it from your pocket and take a reading on stand.. done. wind it back around dowel rod and put it back in your pocket... 

no flags??????