Author Topic: Things to keep in the truck  (Read 3544 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Things to keep in the truck
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
As fall turns to winter we go from the dirt roads in the state forests to icy hard packed roads.  what are some things that you guys keep in your truck when we venture out hunting in the nasty weather that plagues us predator hunters?

Here is my list.

I keep this in a box in the back of my vehicle I am taking.  depending on where I go some things are not needed.

Tire chains for atleast the rear.
road salt with gravel mixed in.  it is known as parking lot mix.  I keep it in 1 gallon water jugs.  easy to dispense and keeps it dry.  I normally keep 2 gallons with me.
shovel of some sort.  normally a short handled flat shovel.
tow straps and log chains to pull yourself out of a ditch move trees if needed or pull someone else out of a ditch.
Come along
first aid kit
fire starting kit(matchs, lighter, firestarters)

This is stuff I also throw in the vehicle I am taking also.
hi lift jack

drinking water (this normally freezes in the winter but atleast you can melt it with a fire if needed.)
food of some sort.  
Blankets.  (a good sleeping bag along with a wool blanket)
Maps of the area I am hunting.

Chain saw.  

hand saw just in case

Now a few things that are in your vehicle?

I do not know how others hunt in the winter but I know in some of the state forests around home here are not as bad as the ones up north.  True all are pretty much the same.  the ones around me get traveled a good bit by sunday drivers or just other hunters in general.  The northcentral woods though are a different story.  I have been on roads that are not used for weeks at a time.  when you turn up a road and you are the only tracks in the snow it can be uneasy if you do not have the proper gear if the worst happens.  

Now a days people can carry the spot personal locators.  I have heard mixed reviews on them.  One was that they do not work very well in adverse weather conditions.  which is understandable because most gps systems do not work well in bad weather or thick trees.  But I do not want to place my life in the hands of an electronic device.  One thing you should also do is let someone you are close to know where you are hunting when you are leaving when you are expected back ect.  If I do not get back to that individual and tell em the change in plans I am confident that within a night maybe a day at the most that I will have help on the way along with the information I tell them from the get go can speed the process up.  cell phones do not work well either in the big woods of pa.  

So this winter when you guys head to the mountains in search of furbearers stay safe and be prepared for the worst.  it could save your life.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:05:15 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Things to keep in the truck
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
I pretty much keep the same things in my truck as well if I know I'm gonna be out all day.  However, Big Ben, you failed to mention the old faithful female companion to keep you warm.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
another thing that comes in handy is a pair of those mechanix wear type gloves.  or even a pair of regular leather gloves.  handling ice cold tire chains and log chains with wet hands can make ya loose skin if your not careful.  another thing I do have with me but it is in the vehicle all the time is a gps.  I actually have two.  I have a handheld etrex and a tom tom gps.  my tom tom has the state forest roads on it and it makes it easy to mark a location that looks good and be able to reference back to it at a later time either while using overhead sat photos or even just to get you back to that hot spot.  I would not trust em to get back to the main road though.  I have had mine lead me to a dead end or where a road used to be.  keep maps and a compass and know how to use them.  I also carry a rechargable flashlight in the truck also.  it plugs into the cigarette lighter to charge.  Road flares are another good thing to keep.  they can be used for multiple tasks.  one such as signalling which is obvious but they make great fire starters with wet wood if you are having problems.  You might also want to keep some spare gas in the vehicle.  A company called rotopax makes fuel packs that I carry on my quad.  I do not carry gas with me while hunting but I fill up right before I head into the big woods.  with a full tank I am not worried about running out.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »
Ben instead of the parking lot mix have you ever tried cat litter. Cheap , light to carry and gives good traction on ice.
PPHA District 3

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
At any given time in my truck are:
Toilet Paper
Wind proof lighter
sharp ax
Sharp knives
Rope
Water
2 pistols

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »
Oh and mechanics tools

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »
well the kitty litter does work for traction but the salt and gravel melts ice and snow.  use shovel to get down to ice and then use salt to get out the rest of the way.  normally though if you have tire chains it takes some serious snow to get stuck.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
At any given time in my truck are:
Toilet Paper
Wind proof lighter
sharp ax
Sharp knives
Rope
Water
2 pistols
Are you hunting?  Or disposing of a body LL?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:04:04 AM »
 ;D

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
now I am starting to worry about going hunting with bob.   :o

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
now I am starting to worry about going hunting with bob.   :o

Not me....... ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU