Author Topic: hunting boots  (Read 5639 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
hunting boots
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
I have been looking for a good pair of hunting boots lately.  my rockys kinda started falling apart this winter and are pretty much toast for hunting.  so I have been looking for a pair of hunting boots to replace these rockys.  my dilema is that I have a hard time finding boots in the right size.  I wear a 14 4e wide boot.  most of the boots I try on are not wide enough.  but I am looking for a leather boot.  rubber boots are great but they do not make them wide enough either.  I figured a good leather boot with a over the ankle design that laces up.  waterproof is a must.  warm are not really a problem.  I do not get cold feet very often.  I normally have issues with my feet getting too hot in normal hunting situations.  any temp above 20 deg I can wear normal leather boots and not get cold feet.  anyone have any suggestions?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: hunting boots
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
HOly smokes 14 4e feet. I thought it was big foot in the woods. It was Big Ben in the woods. Good luck finding boots.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:51:00 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »
Ben I have wide feet also, I really like the Rocky's just for that reason.
I usually end up watching Gander Mountain for when they do a sale...I have gotten them there for basically 50% off or around $60 when theyre on sale.

I wont need any for awhile...with my father passing and me being the one that fits his show size.....I just got 3 pair of brand new still in the box boots, which should last me for some time 
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »
You could always cut a canoe in half and seal in the top with some roof rubber. ;D ;D ;D  Sorry, had to do it.  I have no suggestions for you Ben.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Bigben
I do not have big feet, but I think I have two left feet. Realy has any body tried them muck boots I keep hearing about.

http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/woody-muck-boot-cold-conditions-warm-hunting-boot-p-41.html
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »
BEn you will have to finance that much leather. Heck that's a half a cow. ;D Your new log on name should be BIGFOOT.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »
Ben,

Try contacting the manufacturer directly.  They might have to custome make them.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
ben these are good boots,i wear the 14 wide also,i buy the 15 and they work fine.

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=26605

there rubber though,but even back when i bowhunted i seen the reaction when i wore my leather boots vs,i only wear rubber boots when i hunt.

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
Ben have you tried this site? They will have boots on sale from time to time . A lot of the time the bigger sizes are on close out.  www.sportsmansguide.com
PPHA District 3

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »
Super Shoes in Silver Springs Township near the Wal-Mart has all kinds of name brand hunting boots.....

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »
Ernie, I use Muck boots and shoes all the time.  This is a fantastic boot.  Light weight and comfortable.  Very easy to take off. I'm going on ten years with mine but it is time for new ones.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »
Ernie, I use Muck boots and shoes all the time.  This is a fantastic boot.  Light weight and comfortable.  Very easy to take off. I'm going on ten years with mine but it is time for new ones.

i also have them,got mine at tractor supply,soometimes i got to cross small streams,and i hunt when the grass is wet,so leather doesnt work for me.

And im a firm believer of high human scent on boots.

but with the wide feet the lacrosse are super comfortable.
i wear a ladies trouser sock,then 1 ankle high cotton,sock and your feet will stay warm.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:48:00 AM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
Bigben
I do not have big feet, but I think I have two left feet. Realy has any body tried them muck boots I keep hearing about.

http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/woody-muck-boot-cold-conditions-warm-hunting-boot-p-41.html

I love my Muck boots
Very comfortable and easy on/off.  I used to swear by Lacross, but always swore at them when I'd try to take them off.

Only draw back is I have snagged holes in them beaver trapping and on deer/bear drives, but it gets pretty rough on any boots sometimes.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »
How warm are the muck boots, my feet get cold quickly.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
if they make the muck boots wide enough I would be game.  but unlike leather which will stretch some rubber does not. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”