Author Topic: electronic calls  (Read 18972 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: electronic calls
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »
I sent a defective PowerDogg back to Primos, which I stated in an earlier post. 3/14/09. I got a brand new one back today! I marked the other one so I know this is a new one.  As soon as it stops raining I am going to try it out. Works fine in kitchen..Just wanted to post that it seems Primos stands behind their products with no hassel. Pretty quick turn around.

uncle buck

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
Nice to hear that jaspr1.   I know your going to get you one of them smart Eastern coyotes with it too....  Keep watching the down wind side... With some luck you will get the jump on them and pop them before they wind you when they make that down wind arc...As you know do not stay in line with the speaker...Also make sure you elevate it... Also use good alkaline batteries too...

Thing is good enough even for crow hunting...

The snow geese sound... I do like to throw that in at night when I am fishing along streams... You never know what will urge a coyote and or fox or even a coon to come into a call.... So even the Snow Geese sound just might be good...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
LEARNING the new FoxPro Fury

Went out calling before dark tonight and called a red fox in. This fox liked the baby cotton tail sound so much he or she made two leaps when it got close to the caller and jumped right on the FoxPro fury. Then freaked out and ran up to the top of the hill and stood there. Then it went down a hole and came back out. When I saw that I figured fox den up there maybe. So I started playing baby red fox distress and he or she made about two fast steps back towards the call and sat down and just watched. Then something was coming in from the right side of the fox and caused the fox to get up and leave.  I saw nothing else and it got dark.

Before the hunt I was playing the fury with just the cone speaker playing and the horn speaker off. It sounded very real sounding that way to my ears. I tested the sound before I left the house and up to around 35 volume setting the sound was flawless but at 40 it started driving the speaker a little too hard and I did not like the sound as much. But at 25 to 35 volume setting max is as loud as I would ever play it to sound real.

However 25 volume is what level I using when the fox started coming too the sound and when he started coming closer I turned it down to 15 and it worked great. At least the fox thought so until he landed on the call.
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
I like to call different when I call coyotes compared to fox...Fox, bobcat, coon, I just let the electroinc caller rip away constant sound...Now the Fury might be good for the coyote hunter.   I understand you can program sounds in and leave large gaps of silence.  So the furry would go right through the entire calling coyote sequence with your desired sounds and then those critical periods of silence that are so important for calling in coyotes IMO.

Sometime when uisng remote callers   the caller gets a little trigger happy...Just say they should wait the 8 minutes and they have to activate a sound at 3 minutes when they should have just shut up.....By programming the Fury and letting it rip through the periods of short sounds and the long periods of silence it could benefit a trigger happy coyote hunter like myself...

Another  scenario could be......You want to play a certain sound  however you want to move from your position way down from the speaker...You could program the Fury to activate for what you think would take you to move down to that spot...Say...program it to do a particular sound 10 minutes after the last one..  You know you want the sound to go at this point in time... You want to be posted at that site too... So this would be another reason for a programable  electronic caller...

Over the years I have called in quite a few coyotes for other people using my mouth calls.... I  like the Powerdogg because it allows me to skoot down the 100-200 yards so gee......So I can get a shot at the coyotes when I hunt myself  and not just other people benefiting from my mouth calling...   However if the Fury could be program like I referenced above that would even make it more better for me to get shots when I hunt coyotes by myself ......Now remember this just IMO on this..... 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:44:51 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2009, 11:49:19 AM »
anyone else see this?

http://www.gofoxpro.com/product_custom.php

alot bigger speaker in this one.  basically using the same speaker as bill martz's WT call but has foxpro guts and remote in it.  might get one this fall.  I have found that my fx-5 does not seem to broadcast across a good range.  only out in front.  maybe the wider bell on the speaker will allow the sound to go out to the sides more? 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »
Bigben
I saw the link, neat. I guess FoxPro got tired of all this and that statements about how good WT calls are compared to FoxPro.
Ernie

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
yep.  now it seems the competition is saying they copied everything because foxpro is using the same speaker.  if it works then what is the problem with using that speaker?  I am seriously considering one of these if I like what I hear.  the cone speaker on my fx-5 I believe has seen better days.  maybe I need to compare to a new one?  hard to say.  but if this new toa speaker distriputes the sound out to the side better I think it would be better then what they currently have. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
Also as you all know you can add a add on speaker to the Foxpro products...I can do it to my cheaper Model 38 and my more expensive FX5....Make sure you never sale some of your speaker from other calls...The Preymaster,   The Lohman,  they all work on the foxpro...  I  have decided too...That I will use an add on speaker when I am hunting coyotes with my FX5.

I do think that is one of the reason why the Powerdogg is so good for outsmarting coyotes...Something to do about the speaker system in it....That IMO.....However so far I know of four  hunter me included that have called in 12 coyotes with them....
I think when I add on the Lohman or the preymaster speaker to my FX5 and hang it in a tree...I could obtain the same results with my FX5.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
 UncleBuck
I have at least a 1/2 dozen old large horn speakers, some are the big old long distance speakers Johnny Stewart use to sell. I might have to find the information on them and see if they are 8 ohms. Might be interesting just to see what would happen. FoxPro states they should be 8 ohms if used on there call I think. I will also have to change the plug on the end of the speaker wire.
Ernie

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

uncle buck

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 12:16:47 AM »
Buckwheat I have seen those adapter at Radioshack that go from the large jack to the small jack... The female end is large and the large speaker jack would insert into that.. The male end of the adapter is the small jack... By all means make sure you check the Ohmns on the big speakers though. You do not want to burn up the Fury speakers....
I will do a visual on the small ones I have too make sure...They can't be much being that they do sport the small bell.  However it's good to check the label....FP does sale the speakers for their untis too....