Author Topic: electronic calls  (Read 18967 times)

uncle buck

Re: electronic calls
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »
There is a time and place for everything.  How sad to see predator caller's kind of boast that they only use mouth calls or they only use electronics.  A predator caller has to be well rounded.  As you gain experience your going to learn when to use mouth calls and when to use electronics calls.

There was a time I felt that you could not call in a Pa coyote real easy with an electronic caller.  Just this year I know of three hunters me included that have called in a total of 8 Eastern Coyotes using Primos .........CHEAPO!!!!!!!!!Powerdogg.......
So this has made me excited since I now can hunt myself and get Eastern Coyotes....When I use to call in coyotes....Many times it's me doing the calling and someone else doing the shooting.  As you all know as soon as the mouth calling starts or the button is pushed Eastern Coyotes know just right were the sound is coming from.....Over calling always ends up in failure....

I like to use electronics when I need a break from mouth callling....Kind of getting the dreaded trombone lip if I am calling fox with mouth call on oh I would say about the 4th stand.

If I have a sore throat or do not feel well but not sick enough to stop me from hunting then I will use the electronics.

I like to use electronics for hunting red fox in the daytime.....

Sometimes you will use electronics and a fox will not show himself.    5 minutes of bulb squeaking or mouth calling before departing results in that red fox running right at you.....

A seasoned predator caller needs to know when to use electronics,  mouth, hand calls, and in some instances their own human voice to mimmic critter talk..... 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
Ernie I did call in one other coyote this year using the Foxpro FX5.  So they do work.....I know your like me... Gee I must have about 12-15 different electrornic callers now.  Three of which are made by Foxpro.  A Model 38 and the small tweeter or chirper.  I do have a FX5 with 162 sounds on it now. What I like about the FX5 and I am sure the Fury might be better.....I have learned how to call back red fox with it after they bust you.  You know they come in and catch you off guard.  Mybe come in from the crosswind while your looking down wind.  Anyway it's an awesome tool to make those smart red fox...Start to think...."NAW  NAW"!!!!!!"that was not really a human that was another fox!" Then they come in and you get another shot"...   Nothing like outsmarting a smart fox again!!!!!! 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:00:15 PM by uncle buck »

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 11:52:34 PM »
I wouldn't think it was your good looks Ernie ;D ;D far from it. Rumor has it they put a gps tracking device in it and are currently making up a predator hunting map. This will be issued with all new calls and be called "Hotspots!!!" ;D ;D I think the best thing about electronic calls is No Wires and No Weight. Also for those who have lung problems it gives you a break, like UB  said. On a tip by Nitelite I bought a Pwr. Dogg from Primos for less than a 100 bucks and had a coyote howl at me the first time I used it. I did experience a problem with it during the MosQ. creek hunt and had to send it back, but Primos is going to make good on it so I'm eagerly waitng its return. Still going to use my js for crows. Haven't been out a lot this year but last year Ted and I called in several fox with the Foxpro but no coyotes that we saw. Sounds are great and we won't give up on that either.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
UB, i agree,i use different types of calling at my different spots.

I bought a powerdogg,and i had 2 hunters with me,we called in 2 coyotes the first 2 stands.

Then dry for about the next 5 trips.

In different spots.

Nearly wanted to cry.

I was super shocked,Anderson must really know how to speak the language.

But then my remote quit,and i havent messed with it much.

But i have never seen a call do that.

Some friends in WV. are killing them over the Powerdogg.

I have hunted with 3 different hunters with foxpros.

I owned just the cheaper ones,the p38,and the zr2.

I just bought the nx3.

I called in very little with them.

Why,i have no clue.

That was even calling over top with mouth calls,etc.

I feel a dollar squeaky toy works as good as any call.

I would bet if they did a trial,one hunter use a squeaker,one mouth calls,
and one use electronics,for a year.

I bet the 1 dollar squeaker would be just as good as the calls.

One good sqeeze and thats about as close as a man can get to what a rabbit sounds like when a beagle catches them.

Or a tune on the sqeaker if practiced catches there attention also.

Sounds like a good woodpecker distress if sqeezed fast.

The closer it sounds to being the real thing the better.

The foxpros are made well,and sound super,but i have yet to see them produce any better on coyotes.

There name though stands well as they are good on fox.

My friends have harvested about 35 coyotes in 10 years with the JS caller.

They have good luck with the dennis kirk mateing female whimper cassette.

And a howl threw in every once in awhile.

If i were to be asked which call to buy by a newbie.

I would have to say the JS preymaster,a good raspy cottontail mouth call,
and a squeaker.

The coydog howl brings those dominant males in for the fued.

And the distress sounds are good enough to harvest fur if the hunter is setting up proper.And i have seen them for 79 dollars.

If a man has 500 to drop on a call the foxpro is made better.
But alot of the ailienated sounds are nothing ive ever heard in the woods.
Out of the 100 i have,i think im eraseing about 60.
I watch the boards and other foxpro users are not doing real great either.

But as far as bringing in more fur,as i said,i think a home made mp3,with some good distress sounds,or even the dollar squeaker will produce just as well per number of sets.

I killed a coyote in october,and 1 a few weeks ago, with a elchepo home made ecaller.Called in over 40 coons with a special sound i have recorded.
5 reds and 2 greys this year.

Remember most mp3 players are just as good of sterio sound or better if the sounds are recorded on computer recording software.

And the mp3 player i use is the same make in a foxpro. A Sansa.

And the radio shack 25 watt horn is probably just as good as the foxpro horn also.

But as i said the dollar tennis ball squeaker from Petco is great.It sounds good,and doesnt go off unless you sqeeze it.

And probably as i said is as good as any call out there.

I called a pair of fox in this morning with it.

And had a real lucky night and called a group with 6 most ive ever called in together.But i wasnt the shooter,so dont blame me for no pics.

My hunting partner Richy was behind the trigger and froze up.

He rebounded a few nights later,we called one in on a western rivers predation,with Ernies bird sound playing.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »
TROPHIESONLY
Bp hunted with you and said your a good guy so I am sure this is going to be an interesting post for me. I have very little experience using FoxPro equipment and there sounds in the field, but believe I can tell a good sound from a bad one or maybe just to my ears. I had to get the caller out to get the fawn distress sound I said was so good in the last post.
  It was white tail buck fawn and does not say distressed but I would have 100% confidence in using this call sound for any big carnivore!!

Just one of the problems I have is over the years I have trusted some recording sounds and hand call sounds to work and felt confident on stand using them. Today there are so many sounds now it gets hard for most people to pick a good sound. But I like to think I have developed a pretty good ear for sounds over the years so when I hear a sound I like it will get tested in the field with some confidence on my end.

I personally believe this Fury call and some of its sounds will be help make me a lot of fun stands in the future. 

I do know that Steve Dillon is a very smart person and truly knows how to record sounds and play them back on there equipment. I spent several days just talking to him about sounds and have been in the field watching him recording live sounds with some pretty nice equipment. So quality sound recording equipment does not seam to be a FoxPro problem.

I am confused a little with the statement you say that the FoxPro can not call in Wily Critters yet you say your home brew call has the same equipment in it and you clam it is great?

But as far as bringing in more fur,as i said,i think a home made mp3,with some good distress sounds,or even the dollar squeaker will produce just as well per number of sets.

I killed a coyote in october,and 1 a few weeks ago, with a elchepo home made ecaller.Called in over 40 coons with a special sound i have recorded.
5 reds and 2 greys this year.

Remember most mp3 players are just as good of sterio sound or better if the sounds are recorded on computer recording software.

And the mp3 player i use is the same make in a foxpro. A Sansa.

And the radio shack 25 watt horn is probably just as good as the foxpro horn also.

As far as sounds go, I have spent more money in my life time on call sounds then a new FoxPro Fury costs, and only ended up using about 5 or 6 sounds after all that. So if I can find even 5 or 6 FoxPro sounds that I like and work, WaaaWhooo I will be as happy as pigs in ****.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 11:29:18 AM »
Guess i didnt state that right as usual.

Im saying a hunter doesnt need one to kill game.

I actualy meant any electronic call.

When i said i would tell a newbie,to buy a preymaster.

Most new hunters dont understand,you may go out 15 stands +and see nothing,no matter what type call.Then they quit.

As far as going out with a preymaster,or a powerdogg.

Will a hunter kill more with the Foxpro.

I just dont believe so.Thats my opinion.

I havent seen proof.I have seen pics of guys geeting a fair share of fox,but most are in good fox habitat.Not many coyotes eatin them where there hunting.

I know alot of hunters who own foxpros and hunted 2 seasons and have called in nothing.

So it also depends alot on the hunters useing them.Setups etc.

And yes my homemade call has pretty much the same mp3,but the horn is far better,and the amp is the same size,and it cost me 80 dollars.And played after being kicked in a creek,i can set the call on a sheet of ice and it will play as long as i let it run.So i cant complain about it.

I have all real sounds,recorded from sites off the net and looped like foxpro did.

Hey as i said i just bought the foxpro nx3 its the same as the fx5 without the remote.

The fury just has a very little bit difference as far as just the call itself.

But to answer the question,im not cutting down foxpro.Many think i do so i guess for the last time i need to say properly what i mean.

Im saying if you go setup right,a preymaster,even little handheld electronic calls work in PA.

The user is the most important thing.He has to know how to fur hunt,wind,etc.With any electronic call.

Ive used my new foxpro about 25 sets,just on the squeaks,coaxer etc.
And have not called in a set of eyes.

Many put johnny stewart sounds on there foxpro same as myself,example,grey fox pup.And are killing with those sounds.

The foxpro then just becomes the player.

I have killed fur off your sounds,and the varmint al 16 minute sequence has always done well.

I record them so no remote is needed.

The varmint al sequence i re recorded.I have 7 minutes in the begining,to set the player and get downwind.A 2 minute silence at the end to wait for straglers.Then the chicken which plays and i go get the call.

I rerecorded your sounds there is a 3 minute silence in the begining then your call sound.I put the mp3 player on repeat.So i got 3 minutes to get to my seat which is already setup.The call plays silence three minutes,then your call,for a minute,etc.It shuts off,i got 3 minutes for the buggers to show,then it kicks on again.It is nice as i need no remote.

And my sounds on the elcheapo,are 24 bit sterio same as the fury.

That is why i bought the nx3,i can put my recorded sounds on them,and they work the same no remote needed.The other 2 foxpros had short 15 second repeats so it didnt work for me.

I hunt with guys who use the js 512 or whatever,and they work great.They have a shutoff remote,the cord is a hasel.But if you setup right at 1 spot and
harvest some fur it beats going to 20 in one night and getting nothing.

I hunted with Paul a whole season,and part of another.

This is the case it is easier to tell my case because we have little fox here.
And it is easier to tell what calls work and what dont.

Paul is a good hunter,we used his foxpro,we called in 1 fox with it the whole time.

He went east and was calling them in good.

We killed fur at many of those same spots the next season and seasons before,with the homemade caller.
Why i have no clue.Maybe just luck.
Trappers there the year before,i dont know.

My ecaller has called in fur for 7 years,though the first was a boom box painted useing a cd.Had a fox smash it head on.We Was useing your calls and varmint als.

Out west the foxpro works good on coyotes,but here where im at there are many coyotes,but the PA coyote as we all know is far different than the west.

Out there they have to crank up the FP all the way,here we have to turn it all the way down.To call yotes.Sometimes.
we all know they are the closest thing to a ghost as can be.

So where im hunting is a good place to tell which has worked and which dont.

Ernie if you or uncle buck,did the test with the cottontail mouth call,the sqeaker,and the preymaster.

If you guys went out 100 times this year.Im saying you will do just as well with those calls as any.

IF you setup proper,etc.

If the fur is going to come it is going to come.

I cant say im a better hunter than anyone.

But i have hunted with 2 other good hunters that have hunted my area and they have foxpros also,and could not harvest fur.
They went 2 hours away and were killing foxes.

But we should have called in many more coyotes,if it was any better call.
But we didnt.

Thats why i feel,any of the electronic calls with some decent sounds on them will produce equally if the hunter is a fur hunter.

Playing the wind,clean clothes,etc.

I feel one thing that hurts new hunters with alot of electronic callers is they blast the volume.

Primos fixed that problem for here as the powerdogg stops that as it doesnt blast loud.

But the call is probably near useless out west.

You cant beat the way a foxpro is made.
Or there service.
But you have to remember your paying 500 dollars.

But you are getting what you pay for mechanicaly.

As far as killing fur.
The preymaster and powerdogg,produce well for what little callers are useing them.

BP,said i was a good guy.
I actualy think im a ass...lol..most of the time.
But i base my mouth on being in the woods alot.

NOW your turn,Longhair told me of you.
He said your a bull****ter and drink alot of cheap beer then get on this site and post alot of trash..

LOL...im just a jokeing there fellow.
And look foreward to meeting you.

Give me a call i will pm you my number or i can call you,weekends are free for me.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
Dam,buckwheat i also forgot,Longhair says your a cheapskate...lol

uncle buck

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »
This is turning into a good post but I think I might have changed what it's really about.  However we have to good topics going here.
First let me appoligize to Bigben he wanted to know how to set up at a particular set up.  I would like to tell him what I would do....

Ben let the wind direction be your guide on how you set up in this area.  If it's blowing down the road where the blue dots are the you want to aim the speaker down the blue line.   The predator is going to come down that road and get in direct line with the speaker.  Now if the wind was blowing down the road from where the red dot is you would have to aim the speaker at the point of the field where the red dot is.  If the wind was blowing from the bottom of the wood lot toward the blue line you would have to set up a the bottom or actually along the side of the field.  Again aim the speaker down the side of the field toward the blue line.   

Never ever ever ever get in line with the speaker... The coyotes will bust you....You want to set up just inside the woods and get off the road a bit maybe 30 to 40 yards.  You want the coyote to come down the road into the looudest part of the speaker and pass you why you are cross wind of the direct beam.  As it passes your location going to the speaker you shoot them. 
never walk in deep into any woods on your first set up. What do I always say.....The call.....is a tool... Use your tool to call them too you...  Also like I said let the wind direction be your factor on how you hunt any part of that wood lot.... 
Also especially for coyotes......Never get in direct line with the speaker.  I can gaurantee that you will get busted.  Many times hunters call in coyotes and do not even know it.....Remember ...The Tool,  The Wind,  The direct sound of the speaker, and make sure you are down wind but you best be cross wind of the main beam of the sound. 

If the wind was blowig from where the red dot is and you do not have a place to park over there.  Best not even to hunt that property......

Hope you can see my logic on things here....       
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:55:26 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 02:01:19 PM »
sorry fellows as usual,i just read the prior post.

Didnt mean to go off topic.

uncle buck

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
How to use electronic callers to call in coyotes.....First any remote caller needs to be hung from a branch and or a tree or off the ground.  This makes them work better and receive the commands from your remote.  This applies to Foxpro's, Preymaster's with remote,  Johnny Stewart Attractors, and of course Primos Power Doggs.

Also make sure you have good types of batteries....No Ollies overrun, no Big Lot Generics,  Energizer makes a battery that will work up to 7 times longer... It's not a rechargeable but I use these in my Power Dogg...   Also change your batteries periodically if you use the alkaline...Do not relly on indicators.....

Foxpro's  use a battery that will hold charges longer.... I found one that Boscov's sales at their  camera area.  mAh 2650's   Wow they are awesome they have the needed stored engery once charged and they last longer then the mAh 2500's....

TROPHIESONLY is correct when he states if someone knows what they are doing they can use electronics to call in predators.  It's not the electronic caller the outsmarts the predators.  It's how you use the Tool when you set up.....
Sorry.....But you guys are just going to have to pay your dues just like Buckwheat, Hern, and of course me.... There are things seasoned predator hunters do, use, and know that the new predator hunters just don't know until they pay their dues.......

Foxpro's red fox sounds are awesome.  I have about 5 or 6 of those on my FX5 and I outsmart red fox after they bust me....
The Foxpro Lucky Bird......Wow Awesome sound...
The Foxpro's coyote Interrogation Howl,  Female Invitation Howl, Coyote Challenge, KIYI,  Coyote Pup,  all awesome.... However you have to hang the Foxpro from a tree branch or set it up on a bale of hay....See you just have to know what your doing..Also so many of you are getting busted because your right by the speaker or down wind of it and you are calling coyotes and do not even know it..You have to be down wind but se up cross wind of the main sound beam....

So you can't say the This caller is better then that call or that call is better then this caller.  You have to know how to make the proper set up and yep your going to see what your calling in....

By the way I do not like the field mouse sound on the Power Dogg but that does not mean it will not call in predators....

I kind of get a kick out of some of the posters on the other Pa hunting site that many predators hunters visit.  You see many post like this:  I am going to start coyote hunting ....What sound should I use.....etc etc etc... I say to myself most times "Wow if this poster only knew what he needed to know to outsmart a Pa coyote?"
However The first year I started calling I called in a grey fox and a red fox and missed both of them....So you all have to start somewhere just like many of us seasoned hunters.  However YOU WILL GET BETTER YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR,

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:19:01 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »
sorry fellows as usual,i just read the prior post.

Didnt mean to go off topic.

No on the contrary I am the one that started posting about different electronics.....I  should have read the other post before starting to talk about good electroncis.  The post is really about how Bigben should have set up in the picture.... LOL LOL

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

longhair

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
Buckwad and Thoughtlessonly.......

Where's a mod when you need one ? ???

Hey TO, When it comes to Buckwad.......

Hey UB, Don't worry, this thread is toast now. Not only do they throw me under the bus but they back up and do it a few times more. Game on !!!!!! ;D