Author Topic: primos predator hunting vest  (Read 3502 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
primos predator hunting vest
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »
I just got this vest friday but have hunted with it all friday night and then all afternoon saturday and have a few comments on it.  I know when it came out alot of people seemed to critize it on most of the boards.  I figured yesterday that I needed a new one.  I have been using a strap style turkey vest for a while now and it really does not cater to the predator hunter.  all the pockets that are on it are not big enough for the misc stuff that most callers brings the binos shooting sticks howlers remotes decoys ecalls and such.  I had more empty pockets mainly because they were too small for the objects I used.  so I have been contemplating a upgrade so I bought a back pack that had a folding stool with it.  I like it other then the fact it was too small for me.  the shoulder straps were uncomfortable and on top of everything the seat gave out at the most inoportune time.  so I got the new predator vest from primos.  

I was waiting my turn yesterday to talk to randy anderson and while I was listening to him talk to new and upcoming predator hunters I was eyeing up this vest.  when I first seen em on the market I did not think I would ever buy one.  after looking at it for a while I started to like the way it was layed out.  so when I finally got to talk to randy I asked him what the biggest one they had was?  he said 3X would you like to try one on?  sure why not if it did not fit then no biggie I wasn't getting it.  I put it on and it would be a bit snug with a real heavy jacket on but about 75% of the season I hunt with a zip up hoodie sweatshirt.  so I got it.  after I got home and started to transfer all the stuff out of my old vest and back pack to the new one I really started to like the lay out.  all the pockets are huge but you can reduce the size of them with snaps on the side of the pockets.  there is one zipper on one pocket which I really like all the rest are buttons.  I allways hated to reach for a howler and then have to try to open a zipper quietly.  they keep all the flaps closed with huge buttons.  they are about 1.5" in dia.  so it makes it easy to get too.  another thing I liked about this vest is the pocket in the back.  I can carry my foxpro and I have a piece of 3D material that I put over top my legs when I am in more open spots and both fit nicely in the back pocket.  in fact I did not even know that my foxpro was there.  another feature I liked was the rifle and shotgun loops.  I allways hated the fact that I just grabbed a handfull of shells and threw em in a pocket and the dang things clanged together.  with loops the rifle shells and the shotgun shells were there when I needed em on quick reloads with the hornet last night.  another thing is the water bottle pockets.  it holds em so they dont leak and they are easily accesable.  the only thing I could pick on this jacket is there is really no fold down seat like my old vest had.  there is a nylon flap that comes down so your bottom does not get wet but nothing really thick to keep the roots and rocks we did not see from being a pain in the ass literally.  they do incorperate a foam area in the mid to upper back where your spine is so while leaning against a tree your back does not get sore.  another thing that it seems companys forget is liscense loops on the back.  but this coming year everything is going to be computerized in pa so I will not have to worry about putting alot of holes in the back for my license.  I thought it was a good buy for 50 dollars(show special)  I believe that they sell them on their website for 75 plus shipping.  anyhow on a scale from 1-10 I give it a 8.5 because I wish it was a bit bigger and also wish for a foam seat.  the only reason that I think that they did not put a seat in it was so they could sell bark a loungers.  even randy told me the first thing he did was cut his nylon flap out.  

thinking back I should have had randy sign it so I would have had a athuntic signiture series vest. lol.  

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Ben,

Very nice, comprehensive review.  Thanks!

You also mention some quick reloading last night.  Some luck??

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
actually it was on friday night.  I wrote the review on saturday night and just posted it today.  I finished the season out with one more night hunt and a afternoon hunt.  at night I called in two foxes.  one was the reclusive grey that I shot at and missed the night you were along.  he hung up at around 100 yds and just sat there.  I thought uh huh I got ya this time. bang and he dissapeared.  went and looked and nothing looked again saturday at lunch time and definately a clean miss.  I called in a red and got the hornet bloody finally.  I had a him comin on a string.  bouncing right to me and I bring the gun up and the light goes out.  he was in range so I turned on the scopemounted light.  about 75 yds away.  I aim for his nose and caught him right under the chin.  bang and a lil bit of floppin and it was over.  went up to collect and he was manged up bad.  he went to the dumpster.  I made 4 stands on friday night and called in two fox and then made three on saturday after noon.  I was calling for greys then switched over to do a lone howl and waited for 20 or so minutes.  nothing showed.  now I am really going to try to get coyote #2.  reds are too rubbed to sell. I was at my fur buyers yesterday and he told me not to bring any reds because he won't accept em.  but if I got greys to bring em in they are still good.  over all a great way to end the season.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline paul555

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Quote from: "bigben"
one was the reclusive grey that I shot at and missed the night you were along.  he hung up at around 100 yds and just sat there.  I thought uh huh I got ya this time. bang and he dissapeared.  went and looked and nothing looked again saturday at lunch time and definately a clean miss.

That poor fox.  Every time he hears the dinner bell, he hears a big  bang.   :mrgreen:

Sounds like you had a nice end to the season.  Getting a red, and leaving a bit of unfinished business for next year.   :D

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
considering it took him allmost 10 minutes of coaxing to get him in range he was definately cautious.