Author Topic: Should of had the shotgun  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Should of had the shotgun
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Last night started out windy. First stand I was thinking what am I doing out here. Second stand wind died down and had what I think was a bobcat come to the wood line. Next two stands nothing. On my last stand had a gray come in but couldn't get a shot. He only stopped once and my bipod on my gun keep catching on the grass and I couldn't keep up with it  >:(. Should of had the shotgun.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Should of had the shotgun
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
One of the worst habits I have is not bringing a shotgun on stands...burns me every time too. Of course when I do, I never need it..few years back I bought an Eberlestock scabbard pack just to make carrying it easier and I still don't bring it!
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
I'm in the same predicament.  I carry a shotgun and never get anything to come in close.  The night that I don't bring it.... I Get one in at shot gun range or on the move where I can't get on it quick enough with the 17 hornet.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Shovelheadave

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
One of the worst habits I have is not bringing a shotgun on stands...burns me every time too.

1x

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
I was just telling my son the other night that we need to get ourselves a cheap, used, single shot shotgun with a sling to carry on our back when we are rifling...I do have a NEF 10 gauge single shot with a sling and I have used that when rifling...I'm more or less talking about everyone in the hunting party have both shotgun and rifle with them...I do like the NEF  10 gauge and use it usually when I'm taking other hunters predator calling... I call they get the shots but there are times when the predator breaks through the set up and I get to shoot it close.. I remember I took two guys hunting once.. The fox passed them they didn't even see it and here I am shooting at the fox with NEF  22 LR double action pistol.. Of course you can always get a combo gun....I have a  Savage Model 24V  . 223/12.  I actually have missed more coyotes with that gun then other firearms.. Thing is like a club not a firearm.. I did use it in Texas and I did drop a coyote with the shotgun since it took off and I nailed it..See problem with that is you have the scope on top and that can hurt you more for finding them in the scope and firing.. Hence why a good old Pardner or old  J C Higgins, Savage, single shot with a good shotgun sling might be just what you need.  I know I like the  10 gauge configuration.. Might even be better that it's a  10 instead of a 12 since I now have Deadcoyote #4 Buckshot ammo for it...   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:03:18 PM by uncle buck »