Author Topic: Make sure you carry a gun when bow hunting  (Read 2961 times)

uncle buck

Make sure you carry a gun when bow hunting
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »

> I received this info from my brother... It's worth reading....Many of us have had bad experiences on PGL.. I have but that's another story....

> Subject: Also from Oct. 7 Allentown Morning Call
>
> 'I just wanted to live': Tamaqua bow hunter recalls Game Lands attack by 2 gunmen
> Masked men beat William Hankey Jr. and threatened him with assault weapons on Schuylkill County mountain, then took his pickup truck to Missouri, police say
> Vehicles <http://www.mcall.com/classified/automotive>
> Firearms <http://www.mcall.com/topic/unrest-conflicts-war/defense/firearms/11001006.topic>
> Missouri <http://www.mcall.com/topic/us/missouri-PLGEO100103100000000.topic>
> Trials <http://www.mcall.com/topic/crime-law-justice/trials/02008000.topic>
> Prosecution <http://www.mcall.com/topic/crime-law-justice/prosecution/02009000.topic>
> Watertown <http://www.mcall.com/topic/us/connecticut/litchfield-county/watertown-PLGEO100100203260000.topic>
> Assault <http://www.mcall.com/topic/crime-law-justice/crimes/assault/02001006.topic>
> Schuylkill County <http://www.mcall.com/topic/us/pennsylvania/schuylkill-county-PLGEO100101024000000.topic>
> By Frank Warner, Allentown Morning Call – Oct. 7, 2010
>
> William J. Hankey Jr. had just finished a day of deer hunting in state game lands in Schuylkill County on Saturday evening when two masked men with rifles ran up behind him.
>
> "They yelled, 'Get your . . . hands up!'" Hankey remembered Thursday. "No sooner had I turned around, one of them swung an assault rifle into my head like a baseball bat."
>
> Hankey, 32, of Tamaqua, fell to the ground next to his pickup truck and the gunmen continued to beat him, hitting him with their rifle butts and kicking him, he said. Then they poked him with the rifle barrels and demanded his wallet and keys.
> "I thought they were going to shoot me," he said.
>
> They drove off in his pickup, Hankey said, and he staggered into the woods, where he hid until 5 a.m.
>
> "I wasn't sure if they were still there, if they were still on the mountain," he said. "There were a thousand things going through my head. I tried to play it safe. I just wanted to live."
>
> Hankey had no idea his two attackers were in the middle of what police say was a cross-country crime spree that started Friday with the theft of rifles in New York and ended Tuesday with their arrest in Missouri.
>
> Philip E. Hemminger, 18, and Andrew M. O'Connor, 19, both of New York state, were arrested in Rolla City, Mo., and charged with the burglary of a sporting goods store in Watertown, N.Y.; the assault and robbery of Hankey; and unspecified offenses in Missouri.
>
> Hankey said he is happy the two suspects have been caught, "relieved that they wouldn't do this to someone else."
>
> An avid bow hunter, Hankey said he still doesn't know how his attackers happened on him at 7:10 p.m. Saturday at State Game Lands 222, between Tamaqua and Pottsville.
>
> "I guess I was just a crime of opportunity," he said. "I was the lucky one."
>
> State police at Frackville said the robbers' pickup truck, owned by Hemminger, broke down in the area as they traveled through Pennsylvania, and they jumped Hankey primarily because they needed a vehicle.
>
> The two men burned their disabled pickup, which officers found eight hours before Hankey came out of the woods. Police said their first break in the case was in tracing the burned vehicle to Hemminger.
>
> When Hemminger and O'Connor were found in Missouri, they were in Hankey's pickup truck with Hemminger's license plates, police said.
>
> Hankey said he might forgo hunting the rest of the year.
>
> "I'm always hunting, since I was a little kid," he said. "I love the outdoors. For now, I'm just too mentally drained. I'm not sure if I'm going to do any more hunting this year.
>
> "Eventually I'll start hunting and fishing again. I'm not going to let these two thugs ruin what I love doing."
>
> Hankey was treated at Coaldale Hospital. He said he is recovering from his injuries, which include a gash down the middle of his forehead, other cuts to his head and legs, and deep bruises to several muscles and bones.
>
> He said the ordeal has not cost him his sense of humor, and he looks for the upside of surviving the crime.
>
> "The one thing that I get out of this: I'll never have to serve jury duty," he said. "They'll never want me."
>

Offline jaybird

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Make sure you carry a gun when bow hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »
this happened in the valley where i grew up... about an 8 minute drive from where i live now

i've actually done a stand or two for coyotes on that mountain where it happened... its called the wildcat mountain

I am pretty sure i remember this guy from high school... think he was a year behind me
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:29:02 AM by jaybird »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:09 AM »
I carry any more now since I got my ltcf permit last fall.  pretty much if I am outdoors I carry.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »
i have had a few run ins with dogs over the years and have carried for a few years now.   we run the beagle in an area where there is a lot of illegal activity so the wife just got her permit to carry.  also with the permit i don't have to unload the single six at night while driving from spot to spot. 

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
I always carry because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
You know in the situation on the opening post that bow hunter might have been killed had he pulled the hand gun on him...Unless he pulled out a small pistol maybe a derringer when he was face down.  I know I have hunted with one predator hunter on here and he carries a real small 22 rimfire that fits in the palm of his hand...Yes we all need to carry but while you might have a 357 mag at the hip it might be smart to carry a small hand gun that is concealled.. Maybe a 380 auto or a derringer??????I also think for protection....the double action is more reliable then a semiautomatic.. To many buttons on them unless you know that gun like the back of your hand...

Again this man was lucky that these guys did not kill him.  I don't like it that they pistol whipped him with the AR... They should have been shot dead for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »
JMO but if you choose to carry it is your responsibility to be able to defend your self and not have any problems doing so.  you should practice drawing and shooting in different situations if you can.  you should know your carry weapon in and out. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
I carry a 22 mag Derringer when I bow hunt. I carry a Kimber 9mm the rest of the time. I've shot my semi many times and I have never had a jam. Ben is right, you have to know your weapon. That includes your shotguns and rifles also.
President PPHA

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:03 AM »
I carry a Beretta .25. It fits anywhere and I keep it in my back pocket opposite my wallet, and has 9 shots with the one in the barrel. When bear and deer hunting I carry my Taurus .357. Yesterday I renewed my gun permit for the 5th time and thank God I have never had to use it....ED