Author Topic: Night Time ACTION  (Read 1953 times)

uncle buck

Night Time ACTION
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:45 AM »
I was out hunting the other night and using a semiautomatic shotgun...Semi's can be a pain....I ended up with a pinched thumb when it came time to unload it.. So much so that it cracked it and caused a black spot..  Night time and gun actions...I do like single shots for this reason at night time.. Shell in shell out...It's just that easy...Safe too.  Same with side by sides and over and unders...Pumps rattle but they are not as bad as a semi....Rifles with internal box magazine...pain for sure trying to line up the shells at night time when loading... Clip would be better but you could lose a clip by your vehicle or in the field..The Internal Box type magazine would be better for that reason but they can be a pain.
Semi's and pumps also make more noise when you open and close the action...Sometimes that causes the hunt to be over before it even starts...
To many whistle and bells on semi's for nighttime hunting...Compound that with other hunters around and it could create what appears to be an unsafe condition trying to get a stuck shell out of the gun...
Truly gun actions...You need to take it into consideration at nighttime.. Especially if your hunting with other people.
One of my favorite nightime hunting with other people gun is a single shot 10 gauge break open shotgun..
Most times you only get one shot at a pitch dark nightime predator so the single shot is a great safe gun...
However during twilight conditions over snow.. that is when you need the repeater.. The twilight conditions also makes it easier to free up stuck shells and such.. See you should not have to be dealing with stuck shells at night time... hence my reason why I like the single shot... Especially when hunting with more then two hunters and hunting with a brand new predator hunter...
New hunters...If you have one of those old NEF,single shot 12 gauge break open shotgun...Most are choked Full..Use it at night time..They are a great safe gun...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:28:54 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Night Time ACTION
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »
the only thing with a single shot break action gun is they are normally very light and kick like a mule.  I use a pump most of the time but have carried my beretta just to mix it up.  I do agree gettin your finger in the way of a semi will tear some skin up. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”