Author Topic: Calling During the Full Rut  (Read 1394 times)

uncle buck

Calling During the Full Rut
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
Read an article in August Outdoor Life.... Buck during the full rut...Just ran full bore at a guy behind his house and knocked him to the ground.. Tried to gore him for the longest time to...Article said that a buck will run at the victim 40 MPH then Gore them...

I remember when a few women walking on the Gettysburg Battlefield were attacked during the Rut by a buck.. Also a guy killed in his deer pen during the full rut...The buck was his pet..

Now to how this can impact you....Be careful when calling during the full Rut...That be the time frame the first week in November...Near had two different buck attack me during that time frame...Both cases I was using a mouth call and making rabbit in distress sounds.. Both bucks came within a few feet of me and lucky for me they then veered off.  I often joke that they near wrapped their legs around me from being love sick.. Had they not veered off I would have been gored for sure...

Just be careful out there... That might be a time to put something in front of you when using a mouth call during the full rut or better yet use the electronic caller that week..Again it was the rabbit in distress that triggered their response with me.. Could be a goodthing for the archery hunters to use...rabbit in distress but maybe not the predator caller.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:45:57 PM by uncle buck »