Author Topic: What gun is best for bobcat?  (Read 2668 times)

uncle buck

What gun is best for bobcat?
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
We sure can't say we are pros when it comes to shooting bobcat in Pa... This is going to be something new to many of us Pa hunters who have yet to kill a bobcat in Pa..

First off....I would think the 12 gauge shotgun would be probably the best in thick cover... Since bobcat do live near thick cover you probably could not go wrong if you used a shotgun..  Again keep in mind they will get in direct line with the loudest part of your speaker so probably would be good to set up a ways down wind and set up across from where the direct or loudest part of the speaker is or who ever is calling..

You can't go wrong with the 17 CF thats for sure... Now what do you think about the 22250 or 204 Ruger.. Might be just a bit to much power for even a bobcat...

One can't go wrong with the 222 and the 223.

However would the 22 Hornet be OK to use too?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: What gun is best for bobcat?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »
I killed all my cats with a 223. Cats tend to come in slow and will stop often giving you plenty of time to shoot.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
after seeing two killed with different types of firearms.  one with a 12ga and one with a .223 i cant say which one is better then the other.  both have their pros and cons. 

the shotgun offers a bit of gimme when a nervous hunter got the cat fever and pulls the shot.  a good load of number 4 buck will lay a cat down.  but once you get out there your done.  a rifle will work both close and far though.  but you need a precise shot to make sure the cat is down.  shooting through brush is a problem you will run into with cats.  a shotgun alleviates this problem but with proper stand selection you can use a rifle fairly easy as well.  alot of variables and it comes down to the fact that their is no perfect weapon to get the job done.  you need to know the type of ground your gonna hunt.  if your hunting small openings in over grown clearcuts a rifle will serve you better.  if your hunting tight choked up brush a shotgun might suit your style.  use what you are comfortable with and one thing I can not stress enough is that most people shoot too light of a gun.  they worry about pelt damage and not tearing them up and instead use a .17hmr or a .22mag.  which will kill a cat.  if everything is perfect.  in predator hunting nothing is perfect.  that perfect shot normally doesn't come often.  using a bigger gun such as a .223 or a 12ga loaded with big buckshot will put a cat down quick.  let the taxi worry about the damage.  gotta kill the animal to have something to show for it.  it running off normally leaves you with a wounded animal you wont find unless you have good blood which is hard to have with a smaller animal compared to a deer.  or without snow. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
This might be the time to resurrect the Savage Model 24 V in 12 gauge over a 223. Or the Russian (European Arms ETC) over and under.. Now i ain't going to recommend the Spartan the old Russian European Arms Co that was bought out by Remington.
Sadly I never heard anyone complain about this O/U rifle combo when the Russians made and put their name on it.. However once it became a Spartan... I heard a lot of dissatisfaction...

I do like to take the Savage 24 223/12 when I hunt out of county or state. since I do have to go out of county to hunt bobcat that might be a good choice...
However I would want to play around with it more at the range first to make my decision....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:21:28 PM by uncle buck »