Author Topic: hunting predators during the deee season  (Read 2353 times)

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
hunting predators during the deee season
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
I'm going to my cabin in McKean county the 2nd week of the rifle season. I will leave Friday come home some time then during the 2nd week of the deer rifle season. My question is... I read the book today but didn't come up with an answer so I thought I'd ask. I was looking to do some predator hunting on Sunday early morning instead of sitting around camp drinking all day. But I read the book about fox bobcat and coyote hunting. Coyotes from what I read I can hunt but I don't know about calling because it said fox I can not call during normal legal hunting hours so I think I can on Sunday beings you can't hunt deer but I don't know. Bobcat it said you can not hunt them during normal deer rifle so I'm taking that as I can't but beings you can't hunt Sunday's, so can I hunt and call any or some or all of these on a Sunday morning during the deer rifle season. Just wondering what you all think on these matters. Thank you

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: hunting predators during the deee season
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
If you have a furtakers you can hunt fox and coyotes but not bobcat. Bobcat has a season not sure of the dates but its at the end of January and you can't hunt them on Sundays. If you don't have a furtakers you would only be able to hunt coyotes.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
That's what I was thinking but I didn't know because it said no calling during normal hunting hours. But since it is closed Sunday there is no real hunting hours.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
During the two week period of the general deer season you can only shoot coyotes in the daytime.  You can't shoot other predators in the daytime. However after legal shooting hours for deer you can hunt fox, coon, coyotes at night.  Since that 1st Sunday is a part of the general deer season I would not hunt other predators in the daytime. However that  Sunday night you could hunt fox. By the way on Sundays you can only hunt fox and coyotes! No coon what so ever! 
Remember it's not legal to spot light deer during the regular deer season. However you can hunt predators at night with lights during this period.
Now you have to be careful! because your average person knows nothing about what is legal for predator hunters. They may see your light and they think they are going to  be a hero and bust a deer poacher.  Here you are doing something legal and they think your s slob hunter. This can cause problems because of their ignorance.
IMO when I have hunted predators it's on land that only I have permission to hunt predators. No public land night hunting during regular deer season.
I do have to admit I would Not even hunt that middle Sunday in the daytime. I'm not sure it's legal????? Wait and hunt fox and coyotes then at  night when it's legal. Maybe a PGW or PA GD can answer if you can hunt that middle Sunday in the daytime for fox and coyotes.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:47:04 PM by uncle buck »

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
Yeah I was going to call them and get a for sure answer wanted to first see if anyone knew on here the answer. Thank you

Offline Carl

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »
An interesting topic. I looked at my game commission app and it clearly says that "A person must either have a valid big game license, or possess a fur takers license to lawfully hunt coyotes during any big game season"