Author Topic: imprompt to hunting trip  (Read 1770 times)

Offline ozadug9

imprompt to hunting trip
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
last friday i think i had a little success.....

as the story goes i had a little honey do list to do that i turned into a opportunity to do a little coyote hunting....all i had to do was run my daughter to her friends house for a sleep over and i could go due some hunting....well seem like a fair trade to me...so i went out to the game lands near my house but also borders ohio...i've been meening to due some scouting out there thru the winter but with the snow storms that made it a little diffecult...so last friday was the first chance i got to get out there for a few hours before dark.....so i get out there and i do a little scouting and pick a spot with a little promise i hope...i set my caller out 60 yards in this small field off to my right a little from my imprompt to stand...the wind was blowing at me for the most part along with a little left to right from time to time...i start calling with a rabbit distress for about 3 min...i wait and nothing shows up so i do it again....i wait and nothing shows....so i changed methods and went to a coyote with a rabbit distress i did this call for about 2 mins....i waited and nothing showed i did it again for about 2 mins but before i stopped i change my caller to a male coyote challenge for about 2 min and i stopped my caller...but the coyote sounds did not stop on my caller or so i thought....my caller had done what i wanted it stopped but the coyote that was coming to my call responded to my coyote challenge with a response of his own and i was busted...cause the wind chose to change directions and no responses after that...so i,ve been scouting the game lands out little better in hopes of finally getting my first coyote...but this did get the blood pumping fast for a little bit since the snow stated to melt....

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: imprompt to hunting trip
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
I would call that success and a lesson learned.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:59:16 PM »
Outstanding calling story...Now you have experienced something that you can reflect back on and use into the future..

Kind of like the person that calls in their first predator with a mouth call.... They know it works even if a predator does not come in for the next 999 stands...

Take it one step further to enhance you training...Think also not that you called in a coyote but also the time of the year too and the sound that worked for you in March 2010.
Getting busted makes you not only walk away with an outstanding memory but also something to improve on next time around....Next March......

Offline ozadug9

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
yes it was a success and a lesson well learned but it also left me looking at my remote for my caller like i was a idiot cause i thought i didn't mute it...but at least it works...

Offline closer

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:23:13 PM »
So out of curiousity, what was his biggest mistake?

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
So out of curiousity, what was his biggest mistake?

Wind at his face?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff