Author Topic: Call behind you call in front of you  (Read 1325 times)

uncle buck

Call behind you call in front of you
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
When hunting large tracts of farm or land place the call behind you..Aim it down wind.  you post 100,200, 250 yards down wind of the speaker. then sit cross wind of the direct sound beam or the person calling....Read the land to know which side of the main sound beam to post.  Best to put interference on the side your shooting on...Rock pile, ranch house etc..Something that makes the animal make the arc on the opposite side of where your posting...This is great for coyotes........They sure are not going to make their 200-250 yard arc into a ranch house..

However when you call small tracts of land..Maybe an area that you can only see and acre in front of you....Maybe the ole horeshoe or the U set up...Tree line and building on three sides open area at your back.   Put the speaker in front of you and aim it down wind...place the speaker in a bush, tree etc that is half of the acre.. Now this is the time for you to sit 1/2 acre behind the speaker..Not in line with the wind but to the right or left.
See what you want the coyote or fox to do here is to come into the wind..But go to the speaker.. Now your already in shotgun or rifle range.. The fox or coyote will not smell you...Kind of set up cross wind of the main sound beam of the speaker. the fox or coyote  will enter the small area  and head for the speaker.  Sometimes good things do  come in small packages...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:46:17 PM by uncle buck »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Call behind you call in front of you
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
 It's a 50/50 shot on call placement in my opinion. Common sense would tell you to set the call upwind of you but in reality every site and animal is different. I tried this last January by setting the call in a crosswind. I was set up in a open hardwoods and I had my FX5 hanging on a branch with my mojo critter decoy under it. I was focusing on the down wind side when I head a leap by the caller. I did a slight turn and saw a red fox standing 3 feet from my call. As soon as I seen it the eyes dissapeared and it was gone. I confirmed the tracks were fox and the imprints were about every 6 feet in the snow. That's how fast it was running. By all means try different things but every once in a while something will present itself at the call while your looking at the logical place it should come from.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

Re: Call behind you call in front of you
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »
As you all gain years of experience you will get to learn how to read land... When you read land you not only will become a  good predator caller but a good trapper too.......
Also.......I was hunting with Scott.......what made me proud of him was that while calling the wind shifted on us...He moved and made the adjust to compensate for the new wind direction.  Instead of hearing after the hunt...That wind shifted on us...When it shifts move and get into the right position for them to come into the wind...Even if the main sound beam is correct...Better to watch the down wind side of you.

When the season ends I keep in good practice by reading land...As I drive I can drive the wife nuts...I will see a hill in any given field and say:  See that hill over there what an area to set up if the wind was blowing in that direction or what an area to put a cable restraint.. Poor soul she probably can set a cable restraint now and harvest a fox...

I remember one time she was nice enough to sit with me at a KERMIT demo in Hughesville.. She said to me  "Now I Know What I always Dreamed of Doing? "Catching a Mink!" Then she will turn to me and say "Tell Me When The Fun Begins?"