Author Topic: NEW TO COYOTE HUNITNG  (Read 2010 times)

Offline turkeyhunter94

NEW TO COYOTE HUNITNG
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »
Hi Im just getting started coyote hunting.  I live in Cambria county and heard from a friend who has dogs that if your lucky you only call in 1 yote a year I just have a hard time believing this.  Any input will help from calls to places to hunt.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: NEW TO COYOTE HUNITNG
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
Not to many people are going to tell you where to hunt, they don't want to give up thier spots.  The best thing to do would be to knock on the farmers doors and ask if they are seeing anything and get permision if possible.  Then you have to do a lot of scouting.  Odds will vary from year to year.  There are a lot more coyotes called in than are spotted.  Getting a shot on one is a whole different ball game.  As far as call go, get a bulb squeaker and some closed reed calls and practice different distress calls.  Stay away from coyote vocalization until you understand the sounds and when to use them.  Get out and put the work in a before you know you will be a coyote hunter.  Not sure if you are a member here or not but, the members here are very knowledgable.  Some will even take you out and show you the ropes if you are in thier area.  We have regular hunts and give away nice prizes.  Hope to see you at an event sometime.  Good Luck...........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
Tim is right many people call in coyotes and do not even know it....They are smart...Most times they start their approach about 300 to 250 yard down wind of the sound source...  So if you can find that right spot to set up you will get a shot....

Offline turkeyhunter94

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
So in other words get a good call and get someplace where it thick but open at the same time and start calling them.  Anyone on here hunt with hounds?

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
Here try this so you can get the jump on them  Now don't walk through the calling area..Get up on a ridge and call down into the valley below...You want the wind blowing into the valley too.  The coyote will come to the base of the mountain and you pop them one before they smell you...Just remember they are going to come to the call.  So if your doing the mouth calling they care going to show up right at the bottom where you are calling from the top...Get a remote caller and aim her down the mountain but you sit oh maybe about 40 yards to either side of the speaker... Now what you have to decide is what side of the speaker to sit on...Oh yes use a scoped CF rifle and hunt during the day not night...

Nope don't use dogs...If I owned a mess of dogs the wife would divorce me.  LOL LOL LOL

Offline turkeyhunter94

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »
thanks ub now to find a good spot to go and call 220 swift should be plenty gun for them

Offline Grouchy Coyote

• Junior Forum Member
  • www.MyNEOD.com -Home of the ESOS Boycott-
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »
Hey there Turkey hunter...

Here is a great oppurtunity for you...

Learn More about hunting them....

And get a chance to win a Fox Pro Spitfire digital call...

We are having a seminar in Cresson this Sat (Feb 6th)

The seminar is FREE and put on by Pete Hauer of Fox Pro.

Just for showing up you get a Free chance to win the call...

Go to www.CressonSportsmans.com for more info...

Hope to see you there...

Tom
2014 PA Statewide Crow Hunt - Sep 20th
Come be a part of it: www.CressonSportsmans.com
Grand Prize FOXPRO CALL
OTHER GIVEAWAYS - Boondock Outdoors and Bees OBrien Calls
www.CressonSportsmans.com

Offline turkeyhunter94

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
Grouchy only problem with that is that I have to work trust me I would love to be there but have to pay the bills first or go on welfare and hunt all the time lol.

Thanks for the invite.

Offline Grouchy Coyote

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
Not a problem...

Just figured I would bring it up in case you didnt know about it...

Where you from in Cambria?

Tom
2014 PA Statewide Crow Hunt - Sep 20th
Come be a part of it: www.CressonSportsmans.com
Grand Prize FOXPRO CALL
OTHER GIVEAWAYS - Boondock Outdoors and Bees OBrien Calls
www.CressonSportsmans.com

Offline turkeyhunter94

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:01 PM »
Northern Cambria  the old Barnesboro lol