Author Topic: spring gobbler!!!  (Read 6184 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
spring gobbler!!!
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
Is anyone else looking forward to turkey season!? If you hunt foxes and yotes but never went turkey hunting you deffinatly need to give it a try. It can be everybit as exciting as fox hunting especialy when you get one gobblin its head off. Ive started gettin out the calls and practicing already

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
Re: spring gobbler!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »
It,ll be here before you know it.I,m planning on starting to shoot my bow again next week.I,ve been hunting with my recurve the last 2 years but no shooting yet.They are fun and exciting.Last year my boy and I packed in Friday night for the opener and woke up Saturday morning with 4 birds gobbling around us.We managed to call 1 in to about 35 yards but couldn,t get him any closer.My boy hunts with a longbow so they gotta be close.As with coyotes-be patient!!Oglu waste!-Lloyd

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
i can still hunt the youth day this year but itll be my last time. i hunt some in west virginia and some in perry county. fox, turkey and deer archery are my 3 favs to hunt. id like to try to get one with my recurve eventually but for now im ganna keep using my remington 12 guage 870. i plan on trying to bag a doe with the recurve next year though. id imagine its pretty hard to get drawn back on a gobbler without it sein ya but if you can get one with a bow its pretyy impressive

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
I hunted Spring Gobbler when it first opened years back... I went hunting with my friend and his uncle.. We split up and went our separate ways to call... When I called that uncle in and he was stalking me like I was the turkey...I kind of made me put turkey hunting on the back burner To this day.....I have never killed a wild turkey but have called them in while predator hunting for coyotes.. I do know how to use all the turkey calls too... It just something I shied away from because of the shock of near being killed by my friends uncle..I know now law have been changed that you can't stalk turkey if you hear them calling in the distance... I have also know two people that have been shot dead when hunting turkeys by other hunters.. One a classmate of mine that graduated with me from high school...Guy just never seemed to be a real outdoorsmen in school either.. Made me think..Did he just go hunting for turkey on a whim and some poor soul shot him... See the people that do shoot the people... They to are a victim to now since they have to live the rest of their life thinking about how they killed someone..

Also...if I may suggest two things here... Never ever wear a red bandanna around your neck and never ever hunt turkey wearing blue jeans.. Please wear camo... Red of the bandanna and color of blue jeans when you hear the turkey yelping, purring, clucking cause a syndrome to come over other hunters to think?  Wow I hear the turkey and wow there is the red and the blue color and bam...They just shot a turkey hunter by mistake.. So THINK about going after turkey sounds (Against the law first off) and if your hunting turkeys watch what pieces of (color) clothing you do wear out there....Don't go out and hunt  turkey in the Spring wearing Red, Blue, and the Whites of your Eyes... You could end up shot for a gobbler by mistake.. then the fun begins for everyone.. The shooter, the shootee and the negative ripple effect of that action to all family members and loved ones..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:59:14 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
I love spring turkey hunting! I hate getting up early, but love it once when I am out there. I have never had a real close call getting shot. I mostly hunt private ground that I know who is allowed to be hunting and all hunters know where everyone else is supposed to be. You can't stalk a wild turkey very successfully. To shoot a hunter in the spring when you are supposed to see the beard first is just plain stupid. You can not put a turkey beard on a person no matter how excited you are. If someone just shoots at something because they see red or blue, they should be fined and jailed to the max and are not fit to be out hunting. That may sound harsh, but common sense must be practiced especially when you are hunting. Always positively identify your target before pulling the trigger. That practice cost me a coyote this past fall and a couple foxes. I refuse to let myself pull the trigger on my gun unless I know without a doubt that what I am shooting is what I think it is. A coyote came in to 100 yards last fall and I was sure thats what it was. However, because all I could see was its eyes, I didn't shoot. It spooked and it was too late when I could identify clearly what that animal was. It's just not worth the risk to shoot a cat or dog when you are hunting private land. That can ruin your reputation in the neighborhood and give you the privilege to pay fines. I have no pity for the people that shoot someone else while hunting. Let them get fined and I hope their conscious bothers them the rest of their life.! Just my overly long two cents worth....

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
I agree 100 percent with u coyotenightmare. i think that any body stupidenough to shoot someone that they thought was a turkey should be thrown in jail. one thing that i recomend for anyone hunting on public land or where there is other hunters is to not use a gobble tube or any call that sounds like a gobbler gobbling. it is much more likely for someone to come in to a gobble than just a yelp because they think that it is a real male turkey. My dad and i do a lot of turkey hunting, and hes nearly completed his grand slam with just the oseola to go, and neither of us have ever been stalked up on by another hunter. one of our main tactics is hunting in groups of 2 or 3 with one caller and the rest shooters so that the turkey is focused more on the caller than the shooter. this allows the shooter to have a better chance of being undetected by the bird. It can also be good because if another person comes into your call you have another set of eyes to see the person before they think you're a turkey. Just always make sure where the other hunters in your group are at all ttimes!!! when taking the hunter safety course a few years ago the wco recomended that if you see another hunter, alert him by yelling stop. idk if this is the best way to do it because he could get supprised and shoot, but its deffinatly better than waving your arm or standing up. I just want everyone to know that turkey hunting is usually completely safe unless you get a dumb a$$ who doesn't identify his target. Safe hunting to all of you who plan on gettin out this spring though!!!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
I love Spring Gobbler hunting. Been watch'n a few the past few weekends.
Years back, I would drive 3 hours north to hunt Turkey. Now-a-days, we have many Turkeys in my home area. 15 minute drive, 20 minute walkin and wait for daylight. I really enjoy Spring Gobbler.

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
yah it its a lot like fox huntin to me. you call, they come, they get jellyheaded LOL. wild turkey tastes awsome too. i like spring gobbler alot more than fall just cause they gobble their heads off and it gets ur heart beating like crazy!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
Going to try for one with the bow ;)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »
I would love to try hunting them with my bow, but I am just not ready yet. I haven't killed enough yet to switch to a bow. Maybe next year...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
If this works out this year,
next season I'll try an atladel
and the following season, a slingshot
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:31:15 PM by Leglifter »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
leglifter
After that you will have to go to a pit blind and grab there leg.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
After you grab ones leg, you will have to climb a tree and pull one off the roast. Or to make it fair, climb a tree and set there like a bump till he gobbles.  Then grab him by the neck... LOL

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
haha a slingshot would be hard enough i can't imagine the other things lol. Heck a shotguns hard enough too lol. i say if u get one with a recurve then try to get one with one of them guitine broadheads! now that'd be awsome lol!

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
leglifter
After that you will have to go to a pit blind and grab there leg.

I saw a movie once that an American Indian would catch a Bald Eagle like that... He hid under the nest and put a hole at the bottom of the nest.. When the eagle landed he grabbed the eagle by the legs..and hauled him in..  I know that's Hollywood....You try that and in real life and you are surely going to have some kind of battle scars somewhere on your body...