Author Topic: Heard of a new device for pulling cable anchors with ease  (Read 3505 times)

uncle buck

Heard of a new device for pulling cable anchors with ease
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
Someone told me about a device they saw at Cable restraint class that allowed trappers to pull anchor cables with ease... They said there was nothing to it and it could be fabricated real easy... Anyone know what this device looks like?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Heard of a new device for pulling cable anchors with ease
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »
Which anchor/stake pulling device?

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:01 AM »
This device pulls the anchors that are made of cable and shoe that you drive into the ground with a medal rod..  Not the Rebar stake..

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
A 2x4x8' with a hook screwed into it 2' from the end will pull it most of the time.  What brand cable stake is it?

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
I don't know what brand they are... I  don't worry what kind of anchor shoe the commercial ones have on them... Some I have from Jerry Johnson the others I got at one of the trapping get together... But your right you use it like a lever and the cable comes right up... I don't think it's 8 ' long howerver...?????

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:23:57 AM »
Cable stake pullers been around as long as cable stakes. I think most are homemade and work from lever action.
UB, you should find a few homemade pullers at the PA. TRAPPERS RENDENZOUS.

I use a commom pick, I place the pointed end of pick thru swivel opening and lean back, levering the cable stake outa the ground. If'n it doesn't pop out at first pull, I have a pick in my hand, I just give the ground a few good pokes to loosen. Pick head comes off handle for easy stoeing & transportation.
check this out...
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3818949/Searchpage/1/Main/309535/Words/cable+stake+puller/Search/true/Super_stakes_getting_them_out_#Post3818949
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:38:07 AM by Hern »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »
If you're going to the trappers convention
Look up beaver boy in the tailgaters area
He makes good ones with a claw like a hammer on one end to get rebar stakes started.
I think they're around $35
Tell him I sent you

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »
Bob and Hern thank you for the info and guidance!  Hern now that you posted it! I remember you told us about the pick thing years back!  I will try that! I carry a pick when I pull cables!  By the way I use the duckbill anchor cables!  I will check the flea market area out area for a puller if the price is fair buy one!  I noticed they are $25 and $37 in the FT catalog! I don't want to pay that much!  But  I might go with the pick like Hern suggested since I own a few of them already!  Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:07:16 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
UB, I have a 12" 2x4 to use as a solid base w/pick in soft ground. By that, piece of 2 by, under your puller will prevent sinking and provide a solid base for the fulcrum effect.
For years I used a bumper jack as a cable stake puller.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:28:06 AM by Hern »