Author Topic: Call makers who visit here make a closed reed freeze free call  (Read 2476 times)

uncle buck

Call makers who visit here make a closed reed freeze free call
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
The Primos....KIYI has a plastic closed reed voice channel in it... Just a recommendation down the road for all that make predator calls.  Might be nice if your company made a closed reed call that the voice channel did not freeze up oh................................................................
after 20 seconds of using it in the cold.. Might be a good call for the new hunters to use in freezing temps.. Metal voice channels?  they must be for hunting in the winter in WEST TEXAS!!!!!!!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Call makers who visit here make a closed reed freeze free call
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
Unclebuck
I have only had my custom calls freeze a few times.  The air chamber designed was taken into consideration when making the call, most of the saliva falls short of the reed and there is no metal wall around the reed to collect saliva. But condensation still forms some ice over time on the right nights. How ever if it did freeze up I just slowly blow worm air down the call and it will unfreeze because there are no real ice balls just condensation. However to keep closed reeds calls working wash them in warm water before each hunt. Saliva will build up and dries after each outing. This in turn will start to restrict air flow and the call is only working at half it,s reed spacing off the reed bridge and that space is very close to begin with. To wash an open reed call just turn on your sink with worm water. Run the water in from the exhaust side of the call. This will let water flow between the reed and the reed bridge. Then blow on the call from the exhaust side of the call to remove some of the water left. Then blow your call like normal, This will help break lose and remove old saliva. 
Some times this whole method needs done two or three times to remove dried saliva. Now as far as other peoples close reed calls they will freeze up pretty easy because of there design, but cleaning them will still help. You know what, I better go clean mine now, I did not do it since last years season yet. Ya know how it is when you get home from hunting the last thing I think about is wanting to clean my calls.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »
Where could I get some "worm water"?
is this squeezed from fresh nightcrawlers or from concentrate?

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
leglifter
Sorry, I thought everyone was aware they have to be fresh squeezed. Most bait shops will have them when you are ready. Let me know how it works for ya.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline ultramag

• Junior Forum Member
    • NEW YORK PREDATORHUNTERS ASSOC.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
The best fix for that is...............open reed calls...carry them,use them..love them... ;D

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »
I did some daytime calling today... Purposely took the Primos KIYI call.. I used it during a calling sequence and it did not freeze up.. So for people who just don't know how to use the open reeds yet... The Primos KIYI Closed Reed will not freeze up on you... It does have a gasket you change to lower or raise the pitch.. It does make a nice rabbit in distress sound.. if you take the hood off you can do puppy whines and of course KIYI's too...

I agree everyone needs to learn to use open reed calls..Some of the easy one to use are the Primos LIL Dogs and the Primos Regulators...