Author Topic: Fisher Trapping  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Fisher Trapping
« on: September 01, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
I think it's funny all the opinions about fisher trapping you read about online.  Some say they are difficult to trap and others say they are easy.

I have noticed that in most states you can set conibears on a leaning pole sets and cubby's like they do for Martin.

I have been a part time trapper since I was ten so thats 40 years of trapping on and off.  I don't profess to be an expert or even good but I do enjoy it.  I don't understand why Pennsylvania seems so tight with their regulations.  Do you suppose it has to do with the number of trappers in the state? 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Fisher Trapping
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
Lookn4fur
I think they are just trying to keep the non trapping people happy and there pets safe. PA has a lot of people and a lot if pets. I too think they have some rules that restrict use compared to othere states but there are states that have lost a lot of there trapping rights because anti trapping people and very lax trapping rules. Pa does a pretty good job of keeping most people happy and there pets
 safe.
Fisher are as easy to catch as a possum. I heard that from an expert.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Lookn4aFisher can't catch a possum either :P :P :P :P :P so now what's the kid to do  ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:38:03 PM »
Goose
I was stating a fact not a joke. There are some people that think catching a fisher is fairly easy. The problem is finding fisher areas that they will pass your trap in the short season. The problem with pree baiting it can cause them to hole up when they have a full belly and plenty of food.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »
I don't think they are hard to catch but then again I never caught one.  Last year was the first I ever tried for them.  I set thirteen or fifteen traps (don't remember) for three and a half days and it poured down rain for two of those days.  Tough trapping conditions for sure.  Locating good fresh sign is the key as it is for most all trapping.

I had guys tell me that trapping a bobcat was hard.  I caught one the first time I drew a tag.  I have caught at least seven cats since then and helped others as well.  Not all in season.  I will catch a Fisher eventually.  I am praying for a little snow of course.

We kicked one out on a deer drive last year and that's the one I was trying to catch.  My problem is lack of scouting because where I trap is 3.5 hours north of where I live.  I don't get up there as much as I would like.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »
Lookn4fur
I think when it is all large timber woods like you and I hunt it is hard to pinpoint them.
There are a few things you can do to up your odds, scouting and finding fresh sign is the key. What I told you about after the season last year you my need to consider. If you are catching cats you are in the right spots because there has to be food there. But they move with the food and snow. Fisher like the woods on the edge of thick spots. Cats go into the open side more then fisher when hunting but that is just my opion.
I have also read that Fisher like to have woods and hemlocks over there head. They also like areas that have a lot of old denning trees mixed in with large hemlock stands. There are a few places like that up your way that I have seen.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
Goose did you fall asleep yet?  ::) ::) Refrigerator lamp, in L$F's head, came on and he's suddenly serious business :o :o his compatriot and hero "cream of wheat" is aiding and abetting  :P :P :P musta bin thinkin about those braggin rights fur ever and those 2 brekies that will set him back 2 months allowance..  :o ...starting to beg off early...that's good  ;D ;D I'm thinking he will develop Zeka virus the day before the contest begins... :( :(.... what is that term they use ????   ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???...like taking candy from a baby!!  :o :o :o.................8)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 06:14:44 AM »
 :) OK to be serious......L$F..this is Pa. ..............although you and I might not do anything that is not within the law there are plenty of individuals out there who will. Their brain says I know it's wrong but I will put a conibear right here, just for 1 night what can it hurt?   Ten minutes after they leave Mary Jane takes Fido right where the coni was left.... 3 miles off the trail....and whammo dog is in it....happens every year and Mary Jane isn't quiet afterwards.....I was at a PTA meeting where a member who by all accounts was a good member was removed for infractions and loss of license for violations of the game laws....I talked with him, I could understand his point of view,but unfortunately for him the law isn't written that way so...to bad so sad...That is why semi auto rifles are a hard sell....some people cannot resist the urge...we had a members vote on whether to allow them on our range at the local Sportsman's Club....and the caveat being the 1st time the backings etc. got shot up they would be banned....it's what I call the 1 HOG factor that ruins it for the rest of us. Trappers have a logo.."Our image is Our future" recently, I believe Franklin Co., an Eagle was caught in a trap...now there's an image, there was a ton of hate spewed comments after that....just to many people in Pa......JMO.. 8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 07:52:11 AM »
I agree with you Paul for the most part but what would a dog be doing on a leaning/running pole set?

Ernie, yes most all of my area is hemlock with either mountain ridges or swamp edges.  I did not forget what you said last year.  Good advice.  I'm sure it will all come together one day.  Hopefully that one day will be this year. ;D ;D

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Lookn4answers asks-
...why Pennsylvania seems so tight with their regulations.  Do you suppose it has to do with the number of trappers in the state?
Not the number of trappers. The number of other people and pets and hound dogs afield is my guesstamit.
Pa. has a few antiquated regulations. One comes to mind...No Coon hunting Sundays. Farmers needed their rest Saturday night to attend Church on Sunday.

Lookn4anything, you got some sound advice about Fisher. My best to you.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:46:02 PM »
 :) " what would a dog be doing on a leaning/running pole set?"  ;D ;D Well I can see you never owned an over achiever hound...lol.... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D He wasn't one himself so how could he teach the dog?  ::) ::) ::) or better yet, how was the dog to teach him?  :P :P :P :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
True, never owned a hound.  Well I did have a basset hound once but he wasn't climbing anything.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
 :) L$F you will like this since I am telling on myself   :-[ instead of beating on you  ;D Ben and Goose helped me through the trauma  ::) ::) About "Dogs".... I went to a property I had permission to trap and put out 1 trap. It had been raining and the forecast was for more rain, this was a post set for a coyote I had captured on my trail cam several times. Set trap 11am, Bridger #2 dogless..(how inappropriate)...at 2pm I get a call from wife who was in Lancaster. You need to get to Bill's right away their dog is in your trap and is injured...OMG...all the years I have off and on trapped and NEVER caught a dog....and this is a Bichon Frise to boot...I was now truly in a **** storm, wife mad, my friends son who was living there decided he would take his 3 month old baby for a walk in the woods that day w/dog....he being the tree hugger in that family....anyway by the time I arrived dog was at Vets being attended to...this moron started berating the evilness of trapping and trappers. It was all I could do to remain civil....I always max my pan tension ,to try and avoid the light weights nosing around. Anyway to finish I was there when my friend arrived from work and he was less upset than me and his wife was on the way home with dog from the vet's. We hear door open and here comes the dog bounding in...what?? story I had was dog was almost dead....seems the only reason this WHITE dog was bloody was she cut her LIP when she bit at the trap which had her by the fur on her behind. She had been jumping up and down at this stump to smell the coyote gland and that's how she set it off.....What he was doing where I placed this trap I have no clue..but he was off roading it for sure..The unpredictable nature of humans, you just don't ever know.... 8)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »
Jasper1
(You said)  Ben and Goose helped you through the trauma.
 Now there is the real story you start out with but never told us how.
I can only imagine how they pamper you through this terrible hormone female type of reaction you may be having.  Believe me my mental picture of it doesn't look good. No wonder your kid is so messed up. He has those same type of hormonal outbursts.
So how did they help you through your trauma. And did you fully recover.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:32:16 AM by Buckwheat »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle