Author Topic: New to Trapping  (Read 2336 times)

Offline stifflerbrooke

• PPHA Members
New to Trapping
« on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:07 PM »
Hello all! I am new to trapping and I need a lot of help getting started. I have everything I could possibly need to begin as my deceased dad was a member of the PPHA and was a trapper since he was a young boy. He taught me how to hunt with firearms and bows, but never got the chance to teach me how to trap. I am very eager to learn because I love to be outdoors and doing anything that involves hunting! As I said before, I have literally everything I need to trap just about anything. The only thing missing is the knowledge and expertise. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:52:03 PM by stifflerbrooke »
*~Brooke~*

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: New to Trapping
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:23:34 PM »
I would suggest strongly, you plan on attending this event and take in all the seminars...go to this link to view the events;  http://patrappers.com/2016-pta-rendezvous/
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline stifflerbrooke

• PPHA Members
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
That's my only problem is that I can't attend events like that because I work in the evenings and have limited days off :( I really wish I could go, but that's a 5 hour drive for me so if I went, I would go for all 3 days and unfortunately I don't have any of those days off work. That's why I'm turning to the Internet for help. My dad used to be a member on here and I remember him saying he got so much useful info from all the forums and other fellow trappers. I know it's hard to teach someone online, but any tips or tricks will be so helpful!! :)
*~Brooke~*

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:20:11 AM »
Here's a link to 'trapping schools' throughout the state this summer...
http://patrappers.com/trapping-schools/
Great learning experience for new and seasoned folks. Experienced, knowledgeable instructors. They cover all Pa. furbearers.
Most of these schools are free with free lunch, hosted by Pa. Trappers Association.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:25:10 AM by Hern »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 07:24:10 AM »
Also check out trapperman.com

Offline stifflerbrooke

• PPHA Members
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Thank you, Hern! Online is more feasible for my crazy work schedule, but I will definitely look into the trapping schools :)
*~Brooke~*

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
Also try youtube. 'fine' the furbearer you are interested then watch a few videos.