Author Topic: Ask Hern  (Read 9411 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Ask Hern
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
...do you think dry dirt helps in other ways such as eliminating the smell of freshly dug dirt that gives the canines the urge  to dig??
Possibly.
This question has been debated since trapping began. I will offer my experiences and personal observations.
Fresh dirt smell attracts Predators, Groundhogs, Muskrats, Chipmunks & other critters.
I personally want a 'fresh dirt' smell at my early season dirt hole sets. I will use the dirt at hand.
Most 'fresh dirt' diggers are Raccoon. Or from poorly constructed set. Then you get a 'digger Fox'. But I've had 'digger Fox' using other trap covering material. So I feel that individual Fox will dig no matter what.
Personally, I don't eliminate fresh dirt smell, early season.

Dry, pre-sifted Dirt vs. Fresh Dirt
For many serious trappers, carrying along trap coving material (dry dirt to waxed dirt) is more for saving TIME.
I feel I can make a set FASTER with carry in trap covering. I don't have to look for 'extra dirt' when finishing a new set. Plus, I have my material weather proofed. No need to do that at set. Pre-season work is 80% of your success.
No need to carry a sifter. Dig trap bed, bed trap, pour on pre-sifted material, lure/bait, go.
Minute or minutes saved sifting at set location equals more sets one will be able to get in ground that day.
Pre-sifting dirt & peat moss or waxing dirt before the season, will save a trapper alot of time throughout the long season, opposed to sifting and anti-freezing at each set. Hence, speeding up set making.
Urine post set and Flat set was developed to blend in surroundings and to take animals with a natural set.
Blending is a bit more critical & pattern smaller on these two sets verses a showy dirt hole.

Dry, pre-sifted, dirt, Sifter Peat Moss, Grass Clippings, Waxed dirt
All are used for trap covering for speed and weather protection. And all are a personal choice.
Dry dirt alone is used for fall and extended periods of below freezing. Dry dirt is a poor choice of trap covering during rain/snow, freeze/thaw conditions. Dry dirt draws water like a sponge then will freeze solid during the night.
Early freeze up...the coldest part of the night is near day break. So dry dirt will work till dawn before frozen dirt slows trap action. Then morning Sun thaws. At this time in the season, dry dirt is iffy. Freeze proof sets must be considered.

If you haven't collected your dry dirt by now or pre-sifted you peat moss or gathered you dried grass clippings, you are already behind the eight ball. Be ready when the bell sounds.
Sift though this and I hope I covered your question.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
Lots of good information Hern. Do you prefer grass clippings or peat moss and what would the ratio be for each?The clippings one would think would be more natural smelling but maybe I over think things.If trapping the mountains maybe the peat would be better?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 06:27:35 AM »
I use alot of pre-sifted, dry Peat Moss. Straight Peat with light coating of dirt to finish or natural material to finish blending.
I purchase Peat now, for next year. I then cut a window out of large side of plastic. Then store for next season. With plastic open, Peat dries for next season. Saving me time (from drying) in the summer when I sift up Peat.
Dried Grass Clippings I use straight. On certain sets and locations.

When I gather ground from our woods to use and sift for trap covering...the woods ground smells like Peat or vice versa.
Peat used for mountain trapping is a good choice. And is weather proof to a degree, more so than dry dirt.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
Thanks Hern,A lot to sift through for sure..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:30:43 PM by foxtrot »