Author Topic: Ask Hern  (Read 9410 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Ask Hern
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
Thanks Hern..I have seen the trigger wire mod too..I was going to use some braided stealth wire fishing line..as far as thieves, unfortunately they will always be around..some of these bridges are actually on private property so that may help some..
PPHA President

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:02 AM »
At an early age, I learned how to tune a trap from my Uncle.
Quattro, here's a video on conibears, what I was explaining. But you may better understand proper conibear tuning and tweaking by watching video a few times.
The trigger tuning with nail to open gap (loosen trigger a bit) or hammer a bit tighter (if real loose from factory) and the notch filing round with 45 degree angle on front of notch is necessary with any/all conibear sizes. Also notice how the notch fits in the jaw perfectly. That's what is needed.
I think the guy used a large 330 for video so to show tuning better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlkoCp07AE

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »
 :o :o :o Hern you saying; "At an early age" .... :o :o :o :o :o that was along time ago!! :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
lol
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:09:59 PM by Hern »

Offline Fatdawg

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
Good  thread!

Your in an area that has a good mix of reds, yotes, and cats.
Do you prefer standard jaws or offset and 2 coil or four coiled trap.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
Personal choice again, Fatdawg.
I use standard & offset jaws. Mainly off sets.
I use 2 & 4 coiled traps. Mainly 2 coil.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:17 PM »
I agree with Hern ,the 1 1/2 is an excellent fox trap especially for mountain trapping when its hard to dig a trap bed for anything larger.Do you think the heavier jawed coilspring traps are slower because of the extra mass?Does a 4 coil take more pan pressure to set it off?
  I have used victors,B&L,Montgomeries,Northwoods .My personal choice would be the 1 3/4 victor for fox and coyote.Light, fast and strong.I haven't trapped since the 80's so maybe there are better options.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »
Foxtrot, I use coil spring traps with laminated jaws. Heavier than stock traps. Good shape stock springs, new springs or music wire springs will do the trick.
I like #3 Bridgers (same size as Duke #4's). Big iron for sure, properly tuned up, with good springs... fast as lightning.
4 coil traps fire fast too. Adjust/tune pan pressure to your liking, with 2 or 4 coiled traps.
Pan pressure can be set on 'hair trigger' with 4 coils. Doesn't matter if weak 2 coil or strong 4 coil traps, tuning your traps to desire pan fall or pressure is what you are looking for.

In my area of Pennsylvania, I can't set a #1 1/2 because of Coyotes. I want to hold everyone, everything.
I would not consider setting a #1 1/2 in the mountains.
I recommend to students to use a larger trap and double stake or cable stake nowadays.
A good, over all trap for Pa. land trapping is a #2 Bridger (or equal size trap) for Reds, Greys, Coyote, Bobcat & Fisher.
If you can dig a bed for a #1 1/2, you can certainly get a #2 bedded. And a #2 will hold anything coming down the trail.
#2 will give you a bigger kill area (bigger pan) not to mention #3 being bigger & better on catch ratio.
This is just my opinion, experiences & observations. Yours may vary.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
The first coyotes I trapped back in the 80s were all caught with 1 1/2 victors because that what I had and they performed very well on the fox.Cross staked for coyotes and move the pan back a bit more from the hole.I don't think they had cable stakes at that time or the were a new concept that most were hesitant to try.I agree nowadays with the coyote population the way it is the 11/2 coils should probably stay in the shed.Do you feel the laminated jaws are needed?I never had any problems with bent or popped jaws but have seen others with some issues.The swiveling seems to help with that issue.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
Just thinking about how rare it was to catch coyotes in the 80s.I think the first one I caught in Pa was about 1987,42 lbs. It was tanned and hangs in the shop.Had a waiting list for them as everyone wanted a wall hanger.Nowadays people shoot them at let them lay.Sorry to get off track...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 05:42:23 AM »
Foxtrot, if you never had #1 1/2 jaw popped out or pull a single rebar stake & trap, you never caught too many Coyotes back then.
In the past 30 years, most trappers learned to upgrade equipment to hold all canines.
I caught my first Coyote in 1985, Northumberland County, Point Township, on Snyder's farm.
That Coyote pulled single stake and #2 Montgomery. Another trapper saw it, trailed it and shot it. Trapper thought it was his trap on Coyote so he gave hot pursuit. We knew one another and trapper gave trap back to me and I gave him Coyote for his effort.
I shot first Coyote while calling Fox the same season. Same township, but different end of Township on Epler's farm.

Laminated jaws...
Been laminating for almost 30 years. Am still not sure I prefer lamination...lol. My inventory is half laminated. Laminating jaws is for a better grip/hold and less foot damage. Nothing to do with bent jaws or jaw popping out. To prevent jaw from popping out, some folks spot weld the jaw tips at the frame, so they can't pull though. This is usually done on smaller traps that Coyotes beat up.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
Hern, I didn't catch a lot but then there wasn't a lot to be had.What do you think of the shock springs that some folks use on the chain?I never tried spot welding the ends of the jaws but I did bend the ends up where they went through the frame so they woulndn't pull out, seemed to work ok.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »
I never used/tried shock springs on my chain.
I know some top notch trappers that use them.
I just thought it was more work to bury the extra shock springs, so never gave them a test.
Plus I check traps every 24 hours and didn't feel the need.
Some states have 48 hour check, 72 hour check or no check law, where a shock spring may offer an advantage for longer check period.
-Shock spring-
Attached to trap chain.
A spring designed to  tighten/adsorb shock when Coyote pulls/lunges against stake anchor. Spring adds in trap damage & foot damage.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »
My last sentence should read-
A spring designed to adsorb shock when Coyote pulls/lunges against stake anchor.
Spring aids in less trap damage & less foot damage.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
Hern, 
 With trapping season approaching you hear guys talking about collecting dry dirt mostly to prevent freeze ups.The question is do you think dry dirt helps in other ways such as eliminating the smell of freshly dug dirt that gives the canines the urge  to dig??