Author Topic: Let gravatational pull take over when using restraints..  (Read 4515 times)

uncle buck

Let gravatational pull take over when using restraints..
« on: January 18, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
So many times I will find a trail that's on a hill.. Love places like this when I use restraints.. The critter comes down the hill or incline and like anything in this world that deals with gravity he starts moving a bit faster.. and the momentum of the gravity pushes him so nicely right into the loop..  Also like corners... Coming from one field around a corner that is blind...Before they know it they are in the loop... Coyotes so tough... They actually jump the loop.. Let the terrain, the gravity,  and the make of the fields corner help you...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:02:51 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Let gravatational pull take over when using restraints..
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
What if they are going up hill?

Uncle Buck, are you catching any Coyotes with cables?

11 cables set yesterday afternoon, 2 Coyotes this morning, less than 100 yards apart...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
Hern,   you never stop amazing me with your knowledge and skills!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:42:50 AM »
Yep the good Lord lets me take one every now and then when he wants me too... Their activity is increasing here.. I really whack the red fox with my restraints...When they go up the hills they have to come down the hills eventually... Many of the runs are from woodlots at the top of the hill.. Yes sometimes they are knocked down by what ever.. I always just look at  the size of the loop.. Real small loop you probably had a deer by the leg... Especially when the cable is drawn out long on the ground..   When the populations increase in a area a trapper will get more than a trapper in other area of the state that is just getting inundated with coyotes...The down hill set up I use catch everything targeted and nontargeted animals.. So nice that you can keep coon now when they get in your restraint..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:50:28 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:59:49 AM »
Jake, thanks but was just plain lucky.
Seems the Coyotes were around.
and here's the way it unfolded....
Recently a property owner ask me to trap Coyotes.
He had several trail cams out after Deer season to see what Deer he had left on his property. He was seeing Coyote and gave me a call.
The place has not been trapped this season.
I attended a Fur Sale, Sunday and returned home around 1pm. I wanted to watch football Sunday, but felt obligated to set traps since I told the guy I would do so.
I set 11 cables in his small overgrown field and wanted to set his trails in the woods, but was lazy and wanted to watch the playoff football game and eat popcorn.
Nothing special, cables hung in weeded trails. 10"-11" loop, 10"-11" bottom of loop off ground. Both neck caught.

When I arrived to check cables in the morning, owner got on his quad and followed along. He thought I was a hero with first night catch but I quickly nixed that and explain that doesn't happen too often and that I was lucky today. He (and buddy) even came over to the fur shed and had a beer and watch me skun and flesh. I made a new friend.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:17:32 PM »
I learn much from Jerry Johnson... He will rattle in there and I take it in.  Things like "Coyotes will jump the loop!"  So when I do want to catch coyotes I put the set in heavy grass and in the woods to.. Those things that set out in the open fields for coyotes just sway in the wind for  3 weeks.. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:18:12 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:07:28 AM »
UB, I didn't know Jerry used CR's or even trapped.

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
He has so many things to tell.. I think because of his business he learns a lot and passes it on.. For example.. I'm in there and he was telling me that Johnny Stewart came all the way to Pa in this area for his dental work.. That he recorded some of the gray fox sounds in a warehouse somewhere around Jerrys..  Jerry's son actually did or still does go to Texas.. They stay for free at these outfitters in the bunk house.. They feed them and they trap coyotes for the owners... You  know I was contacted by guy who wanted me to do  same.  Off season,  a Outfitter on the Ohio and Kentucky state line.. Same thing.. Stay at the bunk house, feed me, and pay for each coyote I shot.. Now I should have taken him up on that... The experience in calling would be immense..I remember when I first started trapping and calling back in  1986.  Jerry allowed me to   stay and watch all his fur people skin critters... What an outstanding experience that was for  me.  He also told me that he wished that PPHA would have coyote contest to rid the area of coyotes. We all know how coyotes would hurt his business of fur. They destroy all good red fox hunting and trapping of course.  So I don't know if he traps now but he did at one time.  Probably don't have time.. I will have to ask him next time I see him..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:54:09 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:51 PM »
UB says-
 He also told me that he wished that PPHA would have coyote contest to rid the area of coyotes.

Naw, PPHA would not fall in that trap. Sounds like he wants someone else to do the work for his profit or gain.
If he is so concerned, he could sponsor his own contest. I know other fur buyers that have a 'Biggest Coon' contest and 'Biggest Possum' contest. Or Jerry could co-sponsor with a local fire company or sportsman's club to host a local Coyote contest.

If there are so many Coyotes around your area UB, how many did you and your partner kill this season? or last season? Calling and trapping combined. Compared to other years. Am talking kills.
1? 2? 3? 10? 20? 30? Just wondering.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
UB, you don't have to answer my question.
I have a few Coyotes around here. They are spotty. I trap and call (kill) more Fox than Coyote. I never killed more Coyotes in a season than Fox.
But your latest ramblings about a Coyote population explosion in your area has me thinking. We have Coyotes, I kill x amount per season, depending how mad I am at them and time spent on Coyotes.
So my thinking is, you with your experience and a ton of Coyotes, you should be killing double my average. Right?
How many Coyotes do you have? The more there is, the easier they are to kill.

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
To date starting about  1998 to 2015  I have called in 118 coyotes all over Pa... (17 years) I have not killed  some of the 118 for all kind of reason that can go on a coyote harvest  excuse shirt.  Had I killed all of  those  118 coyotes I would have been known far and wide as "Far And Wide!"  That's about an average of 6.94 a year.. However this year I have called in the most   13 and the season is not over..  I have been calling since  1986 to 2016.  Going to be  30 years coming the  2016-2017 season...Thanks to Randy Anderson and having the privilege  of riding from Penn State to FoxPro one night. He simply said in the car:   If you Pa hunters want to call in coyotes do this:  I understood  what he said. I did what he said and I really started calling in coyotes. "Eureka I Got It!"  From 2006 on I really started calling in coyotes.. My call in increased and my kills increased too.. This year both trapping and calling on two farms my harvest went from about 20 red fox for calling and trapping to 0. On those same two farms my calling of coyotes and trapping them increased.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that in Cumberland county red fox have been driven out on some of my farms I hit hard..

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
Thanks UB.
Naw, I don't count or sell 'call in' Coyotes. I count kills.
The learning curve on killing Coyotes takes longer with only 100+ 'call ins' in all those years. You will get the hang of killing at some point.
So the 13 you saw this season, did you kill 3-6 of the flea bags? Or just see them?
Someone once told me, 'you learn from the ones you don't kill'. I believe that to a degree. But at some point a hunter has to put 2+2 together.

UB, join the PPHA.
Buckwheat had a 'Coyote School' last year for MEMBERS ONLY. This season, our members Coyote success rate improved. I think he is having another Coyote School this year. So if you join our organization, you can attend and maybe hear a detail or two that may aid in your success rate. Plus, it's a privilege to sit in the same room with these dedicated men.

Many off us are still stuck in the 'Fox Mentality' for calling Coyote (and other predators).
Coyote, Greys, Reds, Coon & Bobcat are different species and separate hunting/calling methods are used for each. We get in a rut and sometimes forget what target animal we are after. Am guilty of that many times, success drops,  but try to get myself back to basics. 

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 07:17:55 AM »
 >:(    UB says: Thanks to Randy Anderson and having the privilege  of riding from Penn State to FoxPro one night. He simply said in the car:   If you Pa hunters want to call in coyotes do this:  I understood  what he said. I did what he said and I really started calling in coyotes. "Eureka I Got It!"............. >:( >:( >:(  I rode from my house to the "Coyote College" and back in "Hern's" pick up truck  :P :P The only thing I got was a free ride  ;D I've been cheated!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( I need to get a better "FREE" ride next time  ;) ;) My numbers went from ZERO TO ZERO  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ I would ride with the "Goose"  ::) ::) but we would probably cancel each other out  :P :P :P :P.......... What to do???  What to do ?????  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\  I know I will talk to Big Ben, no "Tom Foolery" and he will take pity on "Old Pop's" maybe  ;) ;) ;) ;).......................... 8)

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 08:01:09 AM »
Did Hern make you ride in the bed??
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
 >:( >:(  Damn  >:( >:( Now I am angry  ::) I could see him up there in the cab talking  ::) I thought he was talking to himself  :P like Ernesto  :o He didn't have the window to the bed open  >:( >:( THANK YOU  Dreamcatcher...."Eureka I Got It!". He's not like Ernesto at all  ;) He's like the Goose  :P He doesn't share  :( :( :( :( :(................ 8)