Author Topic: Looking Up!  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Looking Up!
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
Things are looking up for my Fisher season.  Guess what I pushed out on a deer drive last week?  That's right, Mr. or Mrs. Fisher.  Went back to the spot later in the day and did some scouting.  I found tracks in the mud and an area it seems to be working and not where I jumped it. 

I know it's a tall order but at least I found tracks.  That is a major accomplishment without snow in the big woods of Cameron county.  I am only gonna have four days to get it done so I need all the good MOJO you can send my way.

Now on to the questions.  Should I gang set the area where I saw the tracks?  Bait, lure or both?  Can I over do bait and lure for a Fisher?  Do fisher work dirt holes like fox or should I just make flat sets, post sets?  Do Fisher eat grubs?  It seems it was working some old fallen and half rotten pines.  The only thing I could think it would be looking for is grubs, salamanders or termites but Grubs were the obvious choice.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Looking Up!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:14:26 AM »
Well I answered one of my questions.  It wasn't eating grubs it was eating nuts.  There were hickory nuts everywhere.  I thought that Fisher were strictly meat eaters but the net said they will eat insects and nuts when prey is not available.  Hmmmmmmmm?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
Good luck! Hope to c some pics

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 11:24:08 AM »
I caught 2 of them 2 yrs apart in dirt holes for fox. In my backyard.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
That's out of my league to answer
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
Good for you, you got the hard part over with...

Gang set- Yes, 3-4 sets at the hot locations. (you don't have much time)
Bait/Lure- Bait alone, Bait & Lure, Lure alone...mix it up
OverLure- No. Fisher's are dark colored Possums. If you are using a skunky lure, you don't need as much as you think
Dirtholes- Yes. Slightly bigger hole, don't need to blend to surroundings
Flat Sets- I would put in a well blended flat set, downwind of your dirthole(s)

What about Bobcats? My info also applies to Bobcat.

Lookn4Fisher, My best to you.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 06:57:23 AM »
  I'm just going to sit back and wait for the "PICTURE" of success  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. NO Pressure! Sonny!!! :P..... 8).....PS: Unsolicited TIP  ;) Look for tracks  ;D they don't have wings   ::) so they have to walk everywhere  :P and they leave little tracks  :) :) Hope this helps  :) :).......
[/quote]   Hey "GOOSE" Sonny started new post so he wouldn't have to admit he was taking "POP's" advice...from his prior post of "King of Procrastinators" ::) ::) ::) No Worries  ::) I never get any respect  :o I told you he was going to "Google" it....................... 8)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 06:20:33 AM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P Is this "FISHER EVE???"  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) WOW!!! The ANTICIPATION,I'll bet Hern has been up all night wringing his hands  :P wishing he was there to supervise,  ;) but no!  ???  he got benched in favor of "Dumb Luck".. :P :P  I guess it's probably not easy "gang setting traps"  ??? Goose  ???  is that like "carpet bombing?"  :P  I only have 1 trap so I don't use this method   :-[ :-[  Well I broke out a bottle of "Hard Cider" for tomorrow's result's, win, or "he got away I don't know what happened"...  ;D ;D ;D I wish he had invited us along  ::) ::) we are always full of helpful stuff  ;D ;D maybe not as helpful as Hern  :P :P but freely given in keeping with the spirit of the occasion  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)............................... POP's..............8)

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »
Lol.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 09:20:34 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D And the beat goes on!! :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »
Lookn4Fisher is dealing with snow and cold today. They should be running the next few days/nights. I hope he gets a few traps out and remembers how to drive on snow covered mountain roads.

Goose, I had a Possum this morning in a #3 Bridger (6 1/2" jaw spread) with a 3 lb. drag and 8' of chain.
Drag was still hidden in place (not moved), chain extended straight across logging trail to Possum.
I was expecting a Grey, Red or Coyote of course. Maybe in a few days...lol
Also had a Deer Mouse caught in a #0 LS, set in a Weasel Box.
Another spot today...
Drove in a property this morning and onto the farm road, boogieing along and see a flock of Goose decoys to my right. Slow down and stopped. Got out and ran around the truck and shouted, 'just checking traps, I'll be out here shortly'. I see two heads pop up and both fellas yell, 'no problem'. I was on my way...
but caught a chill when I stepped outside. It was 21 degrees and the wind was blowing. The Goose hunters  were laying in the field...I turned up the heater and slipped on my insulted gloves...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 05:50:15 AM »
Oh yea, The Goose hunters and their spread were covered with a dusting of snow.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
Yea the season came back in on the 18th....and I've only seen one flock in the past week checking traps  :P :P :P :P The cold weather and ice will send them my way....but once again it's to get balmy hot  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ and we get to reset the migration again  :o :o :o :o Tis the year of crazy weather for sure... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:10 AM »
 :( :( :( :( Day 3  :( :( :( :(  NO word  :( :( :( I said I wasn't going to worry  ::) but us old people just can't help ourselves  :-[ :-[ You would think if he had got one  ;D he would have climbed the cell tower at Emporium and sent a message  ??? ??? to his "POP's"  :P so I wouldn't worry.... :P :P  I hope all those clustered tracks weren't the Fishers waiting to catch the bus to St. Mary's  :P and in a frenzy  :o to find them  ???  he's over the bank in a Laurel patch  :P :P Get your chin up Hern, ;) I'm starting to think  :o your going to be coming off the bench next year,for sure  ;D ;D ;D ......... 8)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »
Thanks coach. I'll keep my chin up, but it's hard to be sitting in the bull pen when one was in the rotation all those years. Sitting here waiting my turn...

Don't worry about Lookn4Fisher, he's a big boy now. Regular Daniel Boone. Fisher fear him.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:12:48 PM by Hern »