Author Topic: Opening weekend  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Opening weekend
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
Anyone laying the steel this weekend?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Opening weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »
Yes sir, the Earl and I will be out.
President PPHA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
Doubt it.  Might set some for muskrats and mink when the season comes in though.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »
No but gonna give Beaver another try this year and gonna throw some muskrat traps in also.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »
I will as soon as I lay down my buck, Its hard to give up the mornings right now, ;D
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
    I tried to get my big buck early this year so I could devote my time and thoughts to predator hunting. But, things don't always go exactly the way you want them to. This is my first year with a cross bow so I'm still getting used to it. Last night just before dark a respectable 10 point came past my stand with his nose to the ground, grunting and chasing a doe. He was definitely in full rut. He came back by me and stopped 24 yards out. I had a steady rest so I took a shot and drilled him. He stood there for what seemed to be one minute and I thought I will put in another bolt and drill him again. Before I could do that, he turned and walked slowly back the way he came. I followed the blood  trail until he stopped bleeding last night with a flashlight and Foxpro 51. I went back this morning in the day light and I found my bolt. Unfortunately, there was a bunch of white hair where he was standing. I lined myself up with my stand and there was a small branch that was in the line of fire. I guess my bolt touched the little branch and deflected the bolt just enough to make a low hit. I looked today for quite some time but no luck. I'm pretty sure the deer will be fine. Back to the drawing board.
President PPHA