Author Topic: raccoon traps  (Read 2298 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
raccoon traps
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
I ordered a couple of those raccoon traps that the coon sticks its hand into the trap and gets caught, usually baited with peanut butter and a marshmellow.   the two types that i ordered are metal, do i have to dye and wax them? 

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: raccoon traps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »
Scott, I have some of those too. All the videos I've seen at the PTA Expo, none of then were altered in any way. When you set them, make sure you bury the spring on the bottom so the trap is standing upright. The only problem I've had with the "coon cuff" trap is rodents. They get in and steal the bait and do not lift the pin. The trigger needs quite a bit of pull to trip it. If the trap is lying flat on the ground your bait will be gone and the trap will still be set. So, stand it up and you should be fine. If you still have problems loosing your bait being stolen by rodents, put some aluminum foil over the top of the trap and poke some holes in it to leave the scent out. Spray a little shellfish oil on a nearby tree and that will bring the coons. One more thing, don't try to release a live coon from one of the "coon cuff" type traps, you will surely be bitten or scratched. Shoot them, then remove them to be safe.
President PPHA