Predator Hunting > Guns and Ammo

#4 shot

<< < (2/2)

ElkCrazy:

--- Quote from: "Phoenix" ---Actually, I bought 2 different types from different manufacturers. The one that gave me really great patterns has a longer "forceing cone".
--- End quote ---

Pheonix,  I believe you are misinformed.  The "Forcing cone" (which you are refering to) of a shotgun barrel, is just ahead of the chamber near the REAR of the barrel.  The choke area of the barrel is usually the last 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the barrel just before the muzzle.

For those that are trying to figure out a good choke,  start with a more open choke.  Large pellets act a lot like steel shot, if you jam them together they will spread out much faster.  Also, try a brand of factory loads that buffer the shot. This helps to minimize shot deformity, with tighter chokes.

Phoenix:

--- Quote from: "ElkCrazy" ---
--- Quote from: "Phoenix" ---Actually, I bought 2 different types from different manufacturers. The one that gave me really great patterns has a longer "forceing cone".
--- End quote ---

Pheonix,  I believe you are misinformed.  The "Forcing cone" (which you are refering to) of a shotgun barrel, is just ahead of the chamber near the REAR of the barrel.  The choke area of the barrel is usually the last 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the barrel just before the muzzle.
--- End quote ---

Ummmm I was talking about the forcing cone IN THE CHOKE - since that was the subject.

Maybe I was using the wrong terminology :?:  What is the proper term for the taper constricting the shot pellets in the choke area? Anyway the improved modified choke patterns #4 buck best in my shotgun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version