Author Topic: Grey fox today  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
Grey fox today
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »
Well I was out the this morning scouting for coyotes when I hear some noise in the leaves across to my left on a bank was a grey fox rummaging for food. Very tempting he was probably only 50 yds out. No doubt I would gave him a dirt nap but I respect the sport and wouldn't do that. Plus if thats a prego female that's +4 or so for next season. I knew it was only a matter of time before I crossed paths with a fox now that the season is over. It was my first grey I saw this year too. Next year dirt naps all around!

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Grey fox today
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »
Gives you a good idea where to start off next year.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
I was actually suprised to see him with signs of coyote in the area.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
Grays seem to be able to cohabitate with coyotes.   Reds will leave the area most of the time
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:57:14 AM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 12:48:59 AM »
I was going to make the same comment MrJake.  We don't have any reds down here on the border but have a fair number of greys.  I wouldn't go as far to say that a coyote wouldn't kill one if given the opportunity but I don't think they go looking for them.  I have killed grey's and coyotes off the same stand.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:49:44 AM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 05:22:57 AM »
 :) I think it has to do with the habitat they are found in. Hern in an earlier post explained different hunting style of fox and coyotes. Grays are usually not far from brush and briars. Zigging and Zagging in the briars is advantage to fox not the larger coyote. Coyote loses sight and that ends game, he's not wasting energy trying to scent hunt him.  Reds are out there in an open field a lot of times and I think can be jumped by a coyote and then it's the fastest to the cover decides who lives or dies....for the Red....JMO................... 8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »
Just last weekend i took some wounded warriors out on a coyote hunt.  On one of the sets, I stated to the warrior that the set looks more suited for a grey fox.  Guess what I called in, a grey fox.  Other sets were more suited for coyote.  Guess what?  We had coyote activity three out of the five sets.  Of course the coyotes did not cooperate like the gray but it goes to show it's good to understand your prey and preferred habitat.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!