Author Topic: Day time calling vs. Nightime  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
Day time calling vs. Nightime
« on: March 05, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
So I was wondering for all the members that call yotes during the day. Do you still call them out if an area has human activity during the day. Example quad riding, target shooting, dog walking, etc. Keep in mind that the yotes have become knowledgeable to all these noises for years. Not everyday is like this but there are days when people are out and about. Is it still possible to call one in during daylight? Or is this basically night op only...I ask because I'm not having any luck during the day. I've tried all different times to. My thoughts are if I want one there it's gonna be a midnight op only. Which doesn't really work with my schedule.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Day time calling vs. Nightime
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »
I hunted hard all day yesterday and never saw a dog.  Cut a fresh set of tracks and still nothing.  This time of year is tough!!!   I still prefer daytime hunting for coyotes.   If the area isn't pressured to much,  they will get accustomed to the human traffic.    Heck,  they'll live right in a farmers barn or shed.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
ya daytime just works better for me. Plus I always hunt alone and the areas I hunt get questionable at night lol..... I very rarely hunt an open field. always old mining properties with trails all over the creation with thick brush around. I know I would have better luck at night but I have to get up early for work and so on..... I go out at night once in awhile but just haven't caught up to them yet or they bust me without me knowing. Calm northwest wind today.....hopefully the atvs are at home lol. fat chance on a day like today.....

I live by the Lehigh gorge if your familiar...people say theres dogs all along that area... I just don't really know where to setup for them

I hunted a huge tree farm hard yesterday right above the Lehigh river... not a dog or a howl. Got the crows nice and fired up.. thought that would bring a dog out, but NOTHING!!!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:49:32 AM by Rookie furtaker »

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
I hunted hard all day yesterday and never saw a dog.  Cut a fresh set of tracks and still nothing.  This time of year is tough!!!   I still prefer daytime hunting for coyotes.   If the area isn't pressured to much,  they will get accustomed to the human traffic.    Heck,  they'll live right in a farmers barn or shed.

Funny you mention coyotes living in barns and sheds. There is a farm I had permission for, widowed lady, farm inactive for many years  and in the years previous to me getting on it to hunt, coyotes had actually entered into the top part of her barn by entering thru a broken slat in the barn door. They then had a den in the huge straw pile. She told me she nicknamed the one big daddy and it was nothing to see him and his mate and eventually pups, going about their routine. The male was eventually killed by the deer hunters on the property. Not sure the plight of the remaining family  members. Even in the years that transpired since I got on there, in the barn you could still see trails in the straw and openings to burrows and in the bottom of the barn you could still see tracks in the dirt floor going in and out a small hole in the barn siding. I actually took pictures. These coyotes literally were in every corner of her barn which was 50 yards from her front door.
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »
As long as they feel safe,  they will cohabitate with humans
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!