Author Topic: Obstacles learn to use them to force coyotes to you...  (Read 2971 times)

uncle buck

Obstacles learn to use them to force coyotes to you...
« on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:23 AM »
Learn how  to use farm equipment, buildings, farmers houses,  ponds, rivers, streams  to force predators to have to come to you...  I can hunt in safety zones.. So  if I have a farm with a incline up to the barn door. I will get up against the barn door with my rifle.. Using a tripod and the wind in my face I call from there. The wind is in my face so the coyotes can't go down wind of the barn and go through it.

Many times a farmers house up a hill.. Set up on that side with the wind in your face.. When the coyote circles down wind he or she can't go on the side where the farmers house is or maybe there is a rock ledge up on that side you set up on.. They come in they make their arc on the others side to come to the call...

When calling... Coyotes like to come from cover to cover... Find farms that have cover at your back and cover or a woodlot up on a hill.. Not that I haven't called them across open fields at night.. They feel comfortable going from cover through a field to more cover...

Stream at your back electronics 40 yards out aimed at you... Wind in your face.. The predator will circle down wind of the caller hit the steam bank and come along  the edge .. Could be the right side or the left side.. I like to use a shotgun for this night time set up...

Bend in the road... Place the electronic caller behind you aim down wind this time.. post down wind of the caller where a logging  road bends and goes to the left or right.. Now post on the outside bend.. The predator will come down the road toward the caller but you will shoot it before your scent hits him or her.  If you post on the inside edge of the bend you will see nothing....

uncle buck

Re: Obstacles learn to use them to force coyotes to you...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:32:13 AM »
Small acre farm...Wind in your face..Use a shotgun and place the electronic caller   40 yards in front of you... Speaker aiming up wind..   Use a decoy. The predator will got to the sound and the decoy you make the shot with the sound in front of you.. As the farms get larger time to go to  rifle. You put the caller right there by you if using a rifle or behind you if using a shotgun... Wind in your face and speaker aimed up wind...

Using a shotgun in larger fields... Speaker behind you and facing down wind.  Using the phone wind direction determine where you can post just outside of the sound beam where they won't smell you.. Now you will be hunting cross wind.. You can use a rifle here to and get farther from the sound beam and the scent cone.. Your to the extreme side of the scent cone and the sound beam... use a decoy to right next to the caller...They can see the illuminated light type decoys easier than you think..   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:33:31 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »
UB when hunting an atv path they travel that is a about 100 yd straight away. When walking in with the wind at your face where is a good spot to post? Directly off the path with the caller facing upwind?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:54:10 PM »
Rookie,   If you're walking in with the wind in your face you want to be down wind of the call.  If I'm understanding your question correctly,  your set up will be blown before you even start calling.  You're walking in with the wind in your face,  setting the call, then going back down wind if the call.  The reason this won't work (in my opinion) the coyotes will cut your tracks on the ATV trail before they even get to you and when they do...game over !  You'll never even see them.   My suggestion is to walk in fron a different way if possible.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »
I would be downwind of the call. My question is where is a spot to position myself downwind?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »
I try to get around 100 yards down wind of my call. From my experience, they usually make a circle between 100-150 yards before coming into to call. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »
If your down wind already, find a spot to sit or stand that has the best option for a shot.
The coyote I shot last August responded twice and didn't show for 12 min. Jake was sitting down facing the direction he came in and I was standing behind him to the left. The coyote came in silent and from the time I saw him til I shot him, though seemed like an eternity and still does looking back, was mere seconds. We get to talking after the shot and Jake said I never saw him until you shot. He was within 40-50 when he popped out. They are sneaky sneaky animals. When they show up you have to make sure everything is just right for a successful scenario to play out.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:32:26 PM »
I try to get around 100 yards down wind of my call. From my experience, they usually make a circle between 100-150 yards before coming into to call.
     Mj23 I'll have to try that ....my caller is usually  30 yards from me....maybe that's my problem,I'm not giving them enough room and their busting me,before I see them I did have one run me over 2 weeks ago until he got into my scent cone....man what a rush at 2am in the morning...
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member