Author Topic: roadkills  (Read 2834 times)

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
roadkills
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
i travel various roads in ne and sc pa everyday,in the last 3 wks or so ive been noticing alot of road i akill racoons everywhere , any body else notice this or wasnt i as observant before??
district #1

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: roadkills
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
I too see more dead on the road this time of year. Probably close to the same amount on the road in the spring dead we just do not care as much.  Crop and food change this time of year gets them hit again. Just moving around farther to find this new food puts them at risk.   

For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
Yes I have been seeing a lot of critters hit on the road.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »
Floods took care of most of the roadkills here in York County
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »
You wont see any in two weeks.  This always hapens before they get prime. 

The one year I hit a BIG boar coon in my wifes car.  It took out most of the front end out.  Well I got back home jumped in my truck to colect what could have been the most expencive coon of my life.  Well I drove to where it was and it was gone.  Someone grabed it.  It was about 1am!  Hope they got a few bucks out of it.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
Wasnt me,. . . . . . . or was it? :o

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »
bdawg, I thought I was going crazy seeing all the roadkill raccoons. :o I travel a good bit through South central/central PA everyday and have seen crazy amounts of them hit along the road. Some looked to be monsterous.
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
I pay close attention to road kills for the most part.
I travel roads in Susquehanna Valley and Central Pa. everyday.
A week or so ago the Coon were on the move. One day I counted 7 fresh roadkilled Coon on a 125 mile loop. And other days a couple to few Coon roadkills.
bdawg, I was trying to reason the high rate of Raccoon roadkills in my area. I concluded the back to back floods may have mess up their dinner table (edge of river and streams) and lack of crayfish so Coon were moving to the corn, acorns and other foods (in my area).

During the same period I saw other roadkills: Greys 2, Reds 1, Coyotes 2, Possums many, Skunks 5, Mink 2, Muskrat 1, Porkys 2.
My area has heavy traffic thru Rt. 11 & 15, Rt. 147, Rt. 54, Rt. 61, Rt. 487, Rt. 45, Rt. 80, Rt. 180 & Rt. 220. So if some of you folks live in a lower traffic area, you will see lower roadkills.

Many times I spot a roadkill Coon or Mink and note a drain tile right there. This offten occurs during high water so critter crosses over road instead of under the road, thru tile and swift, high current.
Paying attention to roadkills can reveal travelways. And if a slow thinking fur man can put 2 + 2 together, roadkill + that location = more fur in the shed.

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »
good point hern, didnt think too much about the flooding til you mentioned it, thats alot of the same roads i travel also
district #1