Author Topic: lady bugs  (Read 3569 times)

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
lady bugs
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »
Does any body know how to get rid of the stinking little pest. They almost rate as a predator.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: lady bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
i know you shouldn't crush them and i heard poision doesn't work, i think someone said you have to vaccum them up.  Herb has had some problems with them, he may chime in. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:06:04 PM »
I got those darn stink bugs everywere.

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
Using a sweeper does clean them up, but they can crawl out of there, so I have been giving them some bug spray in the sweeper when I am done. I hope it helps.My wife says it does notdo here sweeper bags any good. I guess we have a choice bags or BUGS!!!!
Good luck if you here of a surefire cure let me know
Mountain dog

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »
I use my vacuum, but I have a bagless one, so all I do is suck them up...take them outside, dunmp them and hope they die before they have the chance to come back into the house and start the process all over again  :o
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
Actually lady bugs are good to have around the house.  They eat aphids, lace bugs and other soft bodied insects that can infest you tree/shrubs and homes.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
I remember when PP HA had the seminars at Port Matilda's Police Fraternity building.. Place was filled with them.. In the window seals, thousands  of them...we had to clean them all up the Friday before the big event...
To this day in all of the 67 counties of Pa I have never seen lady Bugs like that.  The massive accumulation like this?  Does it happen all over our 67 counties?  I thought it was a phenomenon of Clearfield County??

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:57:36 AM »
you live too close to the city.  I get em at my place along with our cabin.  now I do not get em as bad as at our cabin.  and they are not lady bugs per se.  they look like em though.  pap allways called em soy beetles.  not sure but these ones bite.  never had a lady bug bite.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
I don't think they are lady bugs they may be barn beetles. I thought they were but I was told they were something else. They are orange with black dots in my house. During indian summer they are everywhere in homes around here.http://www.truevaluehardware.org/content/expertadvice/QuestionView.aspx?con_id=5522
FayetteNam

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »
They are Asian Lady beetles...not the same as Lady Bugs.

One major difference is....Asian LB....bite
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »
UB asks-
Does it happen all over our 67 counties?  I thought it was a phenomenon of Clearfield County??
Yes.
Insect hatches occur at different times from warmer southern Pa. to northern Pa. Same as planting and harvesting crops. Fur primes the oppoisite in Pa. from northern tier to southern Pa.

I been finding a 'stink bug' in our home, from time to time the past month. They look like an armored truck, greyish with 4wd. I just pick 'em up and  place outside.

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
Hern Stink bugs visit here too..  Things show up in the dead of winter too...
understand about hatches... Just like Morel mushrooms...They first appear in the Lower Forthy and then advance to the Upper Forty of our state.

Visited Gettysburg Military Park Sunday.. Wow....stands and stands of Tulip Poplar Trees...Tulip Poplar Tree Stands =  Morel mushrooms... Um I ain't going to eat any mushrooms from that bloody battlefield....Just would not be right!!!!!!!!

Found a Giant Puff Ball there once... The size of a Basketball.  As you know Giant Puff Balls are choice edible mushrooms..There is was laying right next to the monument that said:  On This Spot Union General John F.  Reynolds  was shot dead on the first day of the Gettysburg Campaign..  Why there were no slugs or bugs on this giant mushroom either... Even the bugs knew better then eating that mushroom.
had to put something in there about bugs....