Author Topic: Wal-Mart $3.50 Spot Light with battery  (Read 3172 times)

uncle buck

Wal-Mart $3.50 Spot Light with battery
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »
I got one of those $3.50 Wal-Mart Spot Lights with a lantern battery.  I painted the white lens red with the Red Dykem.  I can tell it's going to be an outstanding shotgun light...Will be good to let new hunters use if you take them hunting...Also a good spare to keep in your vehicle should your regular light fail...Candlepower AKA lumen rating on this cheap light is 80 lumens...Already got a handle on it to hold under the forearm of the shotgun too.. However you could attach a broom handle or 1 inch dowel rod with a couple of  auto hose clamp...

Red Dykem...Glad I had the wisdom to put on a pair of latex skinning gloves when I was painting all of those white lenses...Should you use the Red Dykem...Remember it's real important to wear gloves when applying it....I also made sure I changed into old clothes too...
I remember using Blue Dykem in machine shop when I was in high school...Been there and done that that way back when....

Neat thing about the red Dykem is?  If you need a red lens for your light..You got the red lens that's for sure... Looks like you can buy stuff to remove the red dye too...I ain't worrying about that..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:18:11 PM by uncle buck »

Offline ultramag

• Junior Forum Member
    • NEW YORK PREDATORHUNTERS ASSOC.
Re: Wal-Mart $3.50 Spot Light with battery
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
That dykem is some nasty stuff,how much of your lungs did you cough up? I use Krylon X-metals in red,it sprays on crystal clear red and doesnt burn off.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »
You know you have a point there...I hope that smell goes away or it could scare every coyote thats gets a wiff of it for 90 miles around.. I did check today and my paintings did not smell anymore??????????

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
Beleive it or not a red Sharpie works as well as painting it.  Doesnt smell and isnt harmful to your lungs.  Dont have to chage clothes or wear gloves.  When it dries, it looks like a factory finish.
Can you tell which s factory and which is $1 red Sharpie?
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
the only thing with a red sharpie it is forever, i like using the weld shield or a pop off cover for finding a downed animal. 

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
Ink will come off easier than Dykem ::)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
weld sheild is not Dykman, it is a really thick plastic they hang for welders,  it is flexible and just the right color.  all you have to do is pop off your sheild and the shield comes with it so you can use your white light if needed. 

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
weld sheild is not Dykman, it is a really thick plastic they hang for welders,  it is flexible and just the right color.  all you have to do is pop off your sheild and the shield comes with it so you can use your white light if needed. 

Obviously you didnt see UB's post above mine regarding painting his lens with Dykem.  I own a welding shield by the way, and wasnt referring to your mentioning the weldin shield.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
Now some of those magic markers smell real bad...Now I don't go around and smell Sharpie tips or anything like that.. However if that be a sharpie in red then I would have to admit it looks real good?  Would it bleed if it gets wet?  I know they do make markers that you can mark clothing with and it will not wash away...

The Dykem does cover the lens within seconds..I know the Sharpie may take awhile to cover the entire lens and it could use it up fast too.. Maybe even a bigger lens might take 2 or 3 to color????I never saw a Sharpie for $1.00 yet. Cheapest I saw was in Michaels for $1.99 on sale.  A. C. Moore wanted $4.99 for one..there are generic ones of course but they could bleed on you if it gets wet...If your going to use a Sharpie you need the ones that it says they are waterproof...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:58:06 PM by uncle buck »

Offline ultramag

• Junior Forum Member
    • NEW YORK PREDATORHUNTERS ASSOC.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »
This is my 500,000 cp scanning light sprayed with Krylon X metals red.I have the sprayed side of the lens on the inside of the light,it doenst burn or peel and I dont have to worry about it getting scratched. Walmart sells the paint for around $5,a can will last forever......

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:19 AM »
I am real impressed with how the Red Dykem and a hand held spotlight has been working for me.. I was walking into a field this evening and hit the animal with the red Dykem painted hand held spot light. The animal came running right to me.. It was a red fox. Light worked so well that even got to see the white tip on the end of it's tail...Yep white tip on the end of the tail equals red fox..